Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fast idle cam lever ... HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:49 AM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Default Fast idle cam lever ... [B]? make one of aluminum ?[/B]

decided to rebuild the carb this weekend while i was doing a bunch of other stuff to the car. Was hoping to drive it again 1 last time before the snow came down but that didnt work out haha.

in rebuilding the carb the fast idle cam lever ended up being/getting broke. the end that the linkage connects to broke off.

here in lies my issue. i am having a hell of a time finding this part on the internet and know you guys on here have some favorite places to look and get stuff.

I AM IN NEED!!!

fast idle cam lever
ford/autolite 2100 2V carb
'65 289 C code engine

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

edit: or just putting this out there, anyone have one they would sell me?? my buddy at the local parts store is going to try and find one for me and im going to call a mustang shop up by my house when i get back to the chicago area to see if they can help too

edit #2

www.carburetion.com "Carbs Unlimited" is that a good trusted site or no idea? they have the part but are a rip off price wise ($10 for the part but its $20 after shipping & handling)

Last edited by 65rangoon; 12-08-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 AM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

Look on ebay for a junker carb and rob it off of it.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Well 20.00 bucks isn't that bad since you'd spend that on an eBay junker at least. You'd get other 'spare' parts from the junker for future use though. Don't think I'd have any issue spending 20.00 bucks at that site.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

yea i know $20 isnt that bad, id just feel a lot better spending $15 on the part and $5 on shipping haha.

there is a guy selling some on ebay, im just leary of ebay anymore due to knowing to many people who have gotten burnt. guy did hve 99.5% feedback but they changed their ratings system so its kind of screwy
Old 11-30-2008, 01:09 PM
fishkg
1st Gear Member

You could try ponycarbs.com as an alternative. I've never dealt with them so I can't give a recommendation. They seem to advertise a pretty complete stock of carb parts. I doubt they would be any less expensive, though.

Good luck
Old 11-30-2008, 01:11 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/
they have every single part of your carb. they make most of them themselves. they aren't cheap but i got both vinyl parts for my old 2100 from them as well
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

alright so im having a hell of a time finding the idle cam lever. pony carbs says they need the stampings from the carb to get me the right one as apparently the thing is different between the 2100 carbs? (carb is 3 hours away with the car at my folks place)

my question is i got a buddy who is wanting to paint his chopper this winter yet. i can get him good PPG paint for cheap ($0-20/pint ... any color, i have connections) and he has unlimited access to a VERY nice machine shop.

im thinking of getting 2 pints of paint for him (again i could most likely pay $0 for them) and having him make me the idle cam lever out of some 6061 aluminum. he said he would make it for free but i wouldnt feel right about it.

think it would create an issue? aluminum vs plastic?

only thing i can think of is a potential binding between it and the lever it connects to
Old 12-09-2008, 10:14 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i don't see a problem at all with using an alum piece here.
but what I don't understand is that you can't get the "fast idle cam lever" from them.
There's only 2 plastic (vinyl) pieces on an autolite 2100. and that lever being one of them. mine was cracked. I glued it with superglue, put it back in and 2 weeks later it broke at another spot.

I ordered it from them and it fitted perfectly. no questions ever asked apart from "autolite 2100"
I would just send you mine but that would render my old carb useless and I could never sell it. Give thm another call. i think there must have been a misunderstanding

and if you are in a hurry then just disable the choke and drive without until you have the missing part.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

im in no hurry. the car is in iowa and it will not see snow (hasnt yet so why start?). i was just wanting to get it together to set the float and air/fuel so its ready ready come spring.

yea i need to call them, at the time it was later at night so i sent an email. i will probably call tomorrow as if i just want it by christmas. this is what i got:

The price of the arm depends on the engineering number off the carb. Thechoke cap itself is $21.00.

-----Original Message-----

From: sales@ponycarburetors.com [mailto:sales@ponycarburetors.com]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 8:09 AM
To: parts@ponycarburetors.com
Subject: SPAM-LOW: Contact Form From Website

Message: I am in need of a fast idle cam lever for an autolite 2100 2V carboff a 1965 289ci "C" code engine.

What is the price & availability of this part? Also due to the $20 minimum order what do you charge for the thermostaticspring housing as well? Thanks !
my guess is the person who replied got confused and looked up another choke part other then the idle cam lever.

****only reason i even thought of having it made of aluminum is i work with a bunch of other engineers/machining guys and when i commented it broke everyone of them said "well why not just make it of aluminum? we can do it at work for you" haha
Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

tell you what. if you can't get the info i'll check on my invoices when back home for part number and price

Quick Reply: Fast idle cam lever ... HELP please