Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Granada disk brake swap and Shelby drop

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default Granada disk brake swap and Shelby drop

Here is a good and comprehensive article about how to swap your old front drum brakes for the Granada/Monarch disk brakes. Also included here is how to do the 1" Shelby drop.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...6/granada.html
Old 06-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Granada disk brake swap and Shelby drop

Sweet find Glen, I'm gonna look into front disc very very soon, had some jerk pull out infront of me yesterday and when I slammed on the brakes the ol drums just locked up and I went for my first slide in the stang, I almost hit the ******* I was so mad my hands and legs were shakin' I just wanted to get out and smack the guy around woulda smashed up the stang badly if I would hit him.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, for $500.00 that is some pretty cheap insurance, plus driving with the security of knowing your brakes won't fail you. It's not really the drums so much as that single jelly jar for a master cylinder that bugs me. If it fails, you don't have brakes on all 4......
Old 06-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

yub, brake failure would suck bad, had that happen to me once when I was muddin in our 76 Dodge 4x4 short bed powerwagon. Ended up using the e brake to get home rofl. Going about 10mph the hole way cause I managed to lock it in four low and not be able to get it out.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:12 AM
my 67
1st Gear Member

[size=3][/sizefound same item months ago and saved it to my favorites for future use.]
Old 06-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Pimm_and_Sons_Speed

Hi,

Here is a shameless plug to a free 40 page Granada-to-Mustang front disc brake guide I wrote. It answers many questions and has a lot of information such as parts lists, Granada torque specifications, pictures etc.. It is not perfect... and there is one topic about the proportioning valve that needs to be updated.

www.granadaswap.com

Scott

Old 06-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Thanks Scott. That is invaluable information for anybody who is going to do the swap.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:22 AM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

The Shelby drop is hard on your ball joints I think.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I might be selling my front disk set-up very soon. keep an eye out for it.

I did mine off a 79 Lincoln Versalles. Same ****. If you are fortunate enough to find the whole car check the rear end too to see if its a 9 inch and it has disk brakes as well. Because this rear end bolts right in. The only thing I had to do to mine was swap the pinion yoke.

as far as saving your ball joints, get a negative wedge kit from mustangs plus. as a matter of fact I think you oly do the "Shelby drop" when you convert yo negative wedge.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 AM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deviousfred

I might be selling my front disk set-up very soon. keep an eye out for it.

I did mine off a 79 Lincoln Versalles. Same ****. If you are fortunate enough to find the whole car check the rear end too to see if its a 9 inch and it has disk brakes as well. Because this rear end bolts right in. The only thing I had to do to mine was swap the pinion yoke.

as far as saving your ball joints, get a negative wedge kit from mustangs plus. as a matter of fact I think you oly do the "Shelby drop" when you convert yo negative wedge.
I got the 79 Lincoln Versalles swap too. thats the way to go. All the way around and you get a 9" to boot.

Quick Reply: Granada disk brake swap and Shelby drop