Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pinion angle or driveline?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:42 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ah ... seems that thread is coming to an end ... great news man!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Gun Jam

The bushing I have has flutes cut in it so oil can freely flow through it even if its somewhat tight.

Ill see how the new yoke fits into that bushing and check play before I install it on the DS

Thanks

-Gun
Old 05-02-2009, 04:56 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I have a feeling if you put on a new yoke with the same short shaft, you might end up in the same situation soon again
I have to check for a bushing in my T5. never seen one ...
Old 05-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Gun Jam

Okay so the new slip yoke arrived from modern driveline but it wont fit the DS because its a 1310 setup with outside snap rings..

The good news is I just test fit it in the trans to see what it would do and play was reduce quite a bit but maybe not quite to an acceptable level...BUT remember I had to hone out the bushing to get the yoke to fit properly. If the bushing was to be replaced with a new one that wasn't honed out I think play could be eliminated as this yoke fits into the trans with very little effort a new bushing would allow for a snug fit.

At this point I am highly considering abandoning this driveline all together its been nothing but a pain in the *** and a money pit...its like keeping a dying pet or something like that and throwing money at vet fees...Just rack one in the .45 and 50 cents later plus the cost of new dog your set for a long time trouble free. But the stupid half keeps saying "oh just one more 50 dollar operation and he'll be all better...look how much money you have spent so far just 50 more and it will be all fixed".....Ahhh

-Gun
Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

Gun - just wondering if you ever got it to work. I haven't posted in a while, but still have my vibration issue. And...oh by the way - the same exact leak issue you describe.

What slipyoke did you end up putting in the tranny? One from a 5.0 or one from an eariler model - i.e. C4 or Toploader?

Good luck..
Old 05-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Gun Jam

Progress is on hold until I can working something out... I have the slipyoke for a t5 with the outside clips it wont fit my DS...
I need to do 1 of 3 things:
1) New DS
2) old style to new style U joint converter (50 bucks)
3) Find new original c4 style slipyoke just like I have now but not worn out

So when I figure out what I should do ill go and do it and let you guys know if it was a stupid idea

Fear not I have not given up yet...Im still at it!!

-Gun
Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hiya,

kinda of a PITA you got a T5 slipyoke as Dennys driveshafts supply the whole lot.
I don't want to recommend to get a u-joint as well and then you figure: hell that's doesn't work either and then end up buying a DS.
(is what I'm doing. replace all parts and then decide to get the full lot proper .... :s )

but the bright side is you'll get a u-joint for 25$ not 50$

Give us the following info and I can point you to the correct U-joint

U-joint Axis in driveshaft:
cup diameter: 1", 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" ? (1.0, 1.063, 1.125")
inside our outside snapring?
if inside snaprings measure from snapring to snapring as well as total length of axis
if outside snapring, measure total length (is probably 3-1/4")

U-joint Axis in Yoke:
cup diameter: 1", 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" ? (1.0, 1.063, 1.125"). In this case what's the diameter of the hole?
inside our outside snapring?
if inside snaprings measure from snapring to snapring as well as total length of axis
if outside snapring, measure from snapring to snapring (probably 3-1/4" as well)

Kalli
Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Gun Jam

are you saying that denny's has the old style yoke?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

no idea what they have. as far as I know they just match the splinecount so you have the full lot from start to finish

Kalli

Quick Reply: pinion angle or driveline?