Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pinion angle or driveline?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM
muster

Originally Posted by kalli
no idea what they have. as far as I know they just match the splinecount so you have the full lot from start to finish

Kalli
Thank you for this info, I'm waiting for this reply.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Gun Jam

Today I got back to working out this problem.

I dropped the tail shaft housing out of the car and re-did everything so it would be a perfect match with the new slip yoke I got for NPD which is the old skL style with the inside clips.

I replaced the bushing and again it was way too tight to accept the slip yoke so again I honed it out until the slip yoke could be inserted with reasonable effort.

I compared play of new slip yoke and bushing to old slip yoke and bushing there is a big difference. With the new slip yoke I have no noticeable play, I can not visually detect movement at the oil seal like before...It is solid.

I replaced the oil seal

Will it solve the problem?

If yes for how long I wonder if it will wear out quickly?

I guess we will see.

Tomorrow I plan to reinstall everything and test drive it although I don't know if ill get it to 90mph anytime soon to really know if its better it might be a week or so but ill let you know how the initial test goes.

-Gun
Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Gun Jam

Got everything back together and drove it around easy to let the slip yoke match up with the new bushing.

No problems at all no oil leaks from the tailshaft and no vibrations. I never got above 55 mph so I dont know if the high speed vibration is solved but I feel very confident that progress has been made especially since no oil leaks from the tailshaft and the new bushing and yoke fit really well with no play at all.

I even tested for play with the slip yoke installed on the DS and the DS installed on the car just as it would be during driving conditions and there was no noticable play.

Im wondering how its going to feel at higher speed

-Gun
Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Good to hear your making progress.
How difficult was it to remove the tailshaft housing with the T5 in the car?

Last edited by chris66dad; 06-07-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Gun Jam

bout an hour to remove it and same to reinstall it. Very easy the hardest part was breaking the silicone seal between the two halves.

I looked again today and noticed what looks like a small drop of oil forming on the protective boot of the oil seal...How can a bran new yoke and oil seal leak at all?? All parts were greased and installed carefully... Ill keep an eye on it.

-Gun
Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

Gun - did you ever test your fix at high speed?

Did the new bearing sleve work?
Old 06-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Gun Jam

I did test it I have been meaning to post the results so here they are

Replacing yoke and bushing seems to have reduced vibration to an acceptable level.

I had the car at speeds above where the vibration would normally be excessive and vibration levels in the shifter where minimal 85 but 2x stronger than at 75.

This was one drive though. I will post again when I get more high speed time on it.

NOW the question is:Was that joint the source of the vibration or simply the place where it would come to a head?

I still can feel the vibration levels increase as it passes 85ish but it is only a small increase and not serious especially since the car does not usually operate for extended periods at those speeds.

Is this because the new yoke and bushing are now in spec and dont wiggle around generating a vibration or is it because the new yoke and bushing cant amplify the vibration (for another source) as much due to the tighter fit...we don't know.

I am also running a steeda triax shifter. These shifters do not have the vibration isolation that the stock shifters have. All that aside vibration levels have been dropping since starting this project I do not believe its the shifter amplifying a normal vibration...I can always put the old shifter back on and just test it out someday.

-Gun
Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM
67mustangfreek

hey did you ever figure out anything i have been fighting this very same problem for 2 years new trans new drive shaft new rear end new axels new clutch so i have been changing the pinion angel for about 3 months now and after this last week i have thrown everthing i thought was wright out the window and have learned alot thanks for all of your help so far
Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Gun Jam

Nothing more to update yet. Again today I had the car at freeway speeds but not above 80 it was great (but it pretty much always was great at that speed.)

What I would do is watch the video a few pages back of said slip yoke play and compare to yours. If you have that much or more play I would replace the tail shaft bushing and the slip yoke if your new DS did not come with one...if your new DS did come with a slip yoke then just replace the bushing.

Is your new DS 3" dia tube and does it have the modern 1310 u-joints with the t5 style slip yoke or are you running the same yoke that was in the c4 or whatever other trans you had?

So yeah I still cant say if the problem was solved by replacing the bushing or was just mitigated by limiting the amount of available vibration causing play.... But doing so did indeed reduce vibration.

-Gun
Old 07-12-2009, 12:00 PM
67mustangfreek

i know thats not a problem i use a new 31 spline ford racing slip yoke and a brand new tko600 i found my pinion angle was down about 5 trans down 5 car 0 and i broght the trans up to match the trans and drove it today and still vibrating. but mine dose it at about 50 to 60 and dont plan on going any faster untill its gone. dose anyone know what a bad drive shaft or a rear end chunk vibrating feels like. thanks

Quick Reply: pinion angle or driveline?