Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Another proud owner of a 65 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:48 AM
MasterLow
1st Gear Member

Default Another proud owner of a 65 Mustang

Finally got one. I've been browsing craigslist and ebay for months, this one fit the bill. I posted a previous topic, but I'll paraphrase. Previous owner had left it sitting for 1.5-2 years, he couldn't start it. He put a new distributor, wires, spark plugs, lots of stuff like that. Still never fired up for him. His parents wanted it off their lawn, so he put it on craigslist. I bought it today, Sunday, and parked it in my garage that has been jam-packed with stuff from the last 20 years. My dad says he hasn't seen the back wall of the garage since before I was born (~20 years) We have found 7-9 toolboxes, I have multiples of every tool imaginable. I had a few very auto-savvy friends come over, and within I'd say about 3 hours we had it running. Fires up right away too. This week I'll be changing the fluids, and then my friend who works at a large muffler shop will be doing a whole new exhaust system with some FlowMaster 40 series slapped on there. Currently it has some raggedy straight pipes, held on with wire and plumbers tape. I'll be buying a new battery, hood hinge, and some other parts before I can actually drive it.

Got some pics up, the first 3 are the newest.
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/65rustang/

oh, and it's got a 302 w/ edelbrock carb, ladder bars, air shocks in the rear, and I still havent found out what side the rear end is. The odometer reads about 5xxx, so I'm going to check the paperwork tomorrow to see how many miles it had when it was last registered. The battery tray is still solid, trunk is solid, cowl, as far as i can see, is solid. Does have some dents in the engine compartment walls, but I can deal with it.

Last edited by MasterLow; 01-26-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Btw its got traction bars not ladder bars.Looks pretty straight and clean.I would lose the air shocks before you drive it.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:08 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Can I have those wheels?

Congrats! You didn't mention brakes anywhere. PLEASE go through them before driving the car. If you are going to stay drum, I highly recommend a dual master cylinder for safety. Not an expensive swap, but it adds redundancy to your brakes for about $100.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

oh, +1 on getting rid of the air shocks.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Looks like a pretty solid project. Congrats!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
alx_66mustang

Masterlow congrats on the car. Looks like a fun project. Guys just curious why he should get rid of the air shocks?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
MasterLow
1st Gear Member

Yea, friend was saying lose the air shocks too. I just had a guy drive by in his 65 mustang, wanted to do a straight up trade, i said no of course. His was more rusty, but had a brand new interior. I'll def try to work on the brakes too, as well as install the turn signals which are in the trunk.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

The air shocks are a bad idea as they are bolted to just the sheetmetal between the rear seat and trunk. You can end up with the top of the shock breaking through and going into the trunk.

Just replace them with some KYB's or similar and you should be set. Of course they were probably put in to "cure" the rear end squat, so you may need to put in new leaf springs. Not expensive (~$100) but then you can ride in comfort without risking it .....
Old 01-26-2009, 03:09 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

So yeah, can I have your wheels?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM
MasterLow
1st Gear Member

Maybe in a few months, Right now I like them. I am definitely going to get some torque thrust sometime in the future, you have any of those to trade? Also anyone have a drivers side hood hinge they want to part? My tiny junkyard here has NO classic mustangs.

Quick Reply: Another proud owner of a 65 Mustang