Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Do I need an aftermarket bezel for aftermarket gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:20 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Yea, I may do it. A few more questions...
If I get that 6 gauge unit, will I still need to purchase a separate gauge holder? Or will they mount to the new, flat bezel easily?
Pertaining to the fuel gauge...does anyone know what the resistance range on a factory fuel sending unit is, for a '66 Mustang?
For these 2 guys, it says that a 'sender' is included. They are referring to the physical gauge that mounts to the block, correct? If so, how do I know if they will fit my inline 6?
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?T...es&PN=ATM-2635
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?T...es&PN=ATM-2634
It just seems a little cheap to be a gauge and a sender . .

I know that Auto Meter is a top brand, but do they make low end products? (i.e. those Z series gauges I just linked)
Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I believe that 6 hole one you just need that not sure tho.Gauges most of them are.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

I used the aftermarket guage pod and Autometer Phantom guages. I love the looks, but I have a question about the fit for anyone else who did this install. Did you cut off the black outer ring/bezel that goes around the front of the guages? After intalling the guages into the pod, the stock bezel didn't seem to want to seat down all the way due to that aluminum outer bezel that is on each guage. Putting the lens cover back on wasn't even an option. They still look awesome, and function treat compared to stock, but the bezel bulges out a little because of the bezels that come on the guages.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM
vescotech
1st Gear Member

The senders that come with most autometer gauges are 1/8 pipe for the oil pressure and 1/4 0r 3/8 pipe for the temp. They also usually come with bushings to adapt it to your size if needed.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Sounds good. I'm still don't understand how an electric sender for the speedometer would work. What sort of mechanical to electrical device does it have?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:28 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

An aftermarket bezel is almost the same price as a stock one, but the gauges fit better. Here is mine:

Unless you have a stock bezel in good shape, why not get the aftermarket one?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 350kmileFord
Sounds good. I'm still don't understand how an electric sender for the speedometer would work. What sort of mechanical to electrical device does it have?
You get a pulse generator like this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

It uses your speedo gear and two wires to the gauge (sender and ground). It generates square wave pulses. The faster you go, the more pulses. Most electonic speedometers can be calibrated. Some have switches to set, but they are a bit of a pain. The one in my picture, allows you to set it up, drive a measured two miles, and it automatically calibrates.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
vescotech
1st Gear Member

The electric speedometer uses a signal generator that has a gear on the end just like you speedometer cable and is driven by the gear on the trans output shaft. You can get one aftermarket or you can use one off of certian year ford products. It has to be gear driven. Some time in the mid 90's they started using one that senses a reluctor ring on the output shaft.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:39 PM
vescotech
1st Gear Member

Fake what brand bezel is yours
Old 02-07-2009, 10:50 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I got it from these guys on ebay. I also got my entire interior from them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3705&viewitem=

Quick Reply: Do I need an aftermarket bezel for aftermarket gauges?