Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 mustang fastback Cluster dash lights going out then coming back on.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 10:35 PM
Fitzke30

Default 67 mustang fastback Cluster dash lights going out then coming back on.

I'm curious if anyone would know what would cause my cluster gauge lights to stop working while driving. When i turn the lights on they work then I drive for 5 mins they go off, then they will come back on about 10 mins later or when I pull in the garage. Anyone have any ideas to what would cause this?
Old 05-28-2023, 10:07 PM
Mostang66
1st Gear Member

It seems that it would be limited to three things. When the ignition is on, the power for the cluster lights comes through the # 1 fuse. When the ignition is off the power comes through the # 3 fuse. When the lights go out, will they come back on if you turn the ignition off? If so, the problem could be an intermittent connection in the # 1 fuse. If not, the problem should be limited to the headlamp switch or the connector to the gage cluster. The light in the radio goes out when the gage cluster lights go out?
Old 05-28-2023, 10:37 PM
Fitzke30

Originally Posted by Mostang66
It seems that it would be limited to three things. When the ignition is on, the power for the cluster lights comes through the # 1 fuse. When the ignition is off the power comes through the # 3 fuse. When the lights go out, will they come back on if you turn the ignition off? If so, the problem could be an intermittent connection in the # 1 fuse. If not, the problem should be limited to the headlamp switch or the connector to the gage cluster. The light in the radio goes out when the gage cluster lights go out?
yes if I remember right the radio light also went out. But everything always comes back on when i pull into the garage. I changed the headlight switch today then re seated the connectors. But when I turn the ignition off then come back they always come back on.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:01 AM
Mostang66
1st Gear Member

Disregard the comment that power comes through the # 1 fuse with the key on, that is not accurate. Power to the cluster lights is solely through the # 3, 2.5 Amp fuse. I would check that fuse's integrity and clean the contacts if it looks necessary. The lights share the ground with the gages. If the gages continue to function when the lights stop functioning, that doesn't seem to be a direction to investigate.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:40 PM
Fitzke30

Originally Posted by Mostang66
Disregard the comment that power comes through the # 1 fuse with the key on, that is not accurate. Power to the cluster lights is solely through the # 3, 2.5 Amp fuse. I would check that fuse's integrity and clean the contacts if it looks necessary. The lights share the ground with the gages. If the gages continue to function when the lights stop functioning, that doesn't seem to be a direction to investigate.
As of right now changing the head light lamp switch and re seating the connectors. Has seemed to fix my problem. Thanks for the help.