Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Official Build/Rebuild Thread of my 69FB

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

You know, I used to tease you about the car, cause you really got had on it. I used to be all for you going after the inspector.

But something dawned on me a few days ago; had he not been so wrong (or lied) you probably wouldn't have gotten the car. Let's not kid ourselves, there are other cars you could have had, but you loved this one... be grateful he was so stupid, it got them to accept the loan, and you got the car you wanted.

Anyway, still think you paid, and are paying too damn much for a 69 fastback with a 302, but you have the bug. We all do here. Thanks for the pics, took ****in long enough.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Looks like this mustang is very happy to have its new owner. good luck
Old 02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

wait, how much DID he pay for the car?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

77stang,

This is what makes me mad about it. I paid $14,500.00 for it. IF the inspector had done his job I would have passed on this car and looked for another one.

Once I get the wiring harness done I'll have spent another $5,000.00 roughly in the repairs I have had done.

Just makes me mad to think that a company that specializes in classic loans has inspectors like this working for them.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

wow u spent 14.5?!?!? ouch......

Did you look at the car your self before?

Last edited by rst08tierney; 02-16-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

That seems way too much to have payed... but if there was no rust and all the panels aren't covered in bondo it may be worth it. Still though.

Well, good luck getting it finished, once it is you will love it.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

rst08,

I did but like I said I did not know much about the mechanicals of the car. I saw that it did not have any rust in the usual spots and I was lead to believe it was a 351W in the car. I was also going to have a very knowledgeable mechanic, with classic mustangs, look at it and tell me if it was worth it.

This was when the loan company told me that I would have to pay $195.00 to have their inspector come out and look at it before the loan would be approved.

I went back in August to the loan company and asked for the 195 dollars to be refunded since it was such a bum inspection, to at least cover some of the cost. They told me that their "inspectors" just make sure the car is physically there and that it is not a rust bucket or blowing blue smoke. The V.P. I talked with then told me, "Hey, you got the car enjoy it!"

That was 6 months ago, and I'm still about 2 months out from having it out of the shop.

Just makes me mad at myself for not getting it inspected by the guy I wanted to use. If I had I would not have bought the car. I would have waited for the next one.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Dude, don't beat yourself up about it. You got the car you were probably losing sleep over wondering if you were going to get it. And you got it. The finance company got their money, and everyone wins. Chalk this up as a "live and learn" type of thing. We've all been there, one way or another. Maybe you took a hit on the price, but after all the money you put into the car, these are by far the "return on your investment" type of things. Forget about the inspector, etc. and focus on enjoying your awesome car. There are many out there who are dying to get their hands on one of these!

P.S. I think it looks great.

Last edited by zmetalmilitia; 02-17-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Unfortunately, for everyone who has read this post should take your experience as a major learning experience. Its sad people try to scam their way info a few more bucks like slapping a 351 sticker on the fan shroud.

Good luck with the restoration and just make sure that shop does not take advantage of your situation since your wallet is already open on their books.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:16 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

ZMetal,

I know it's just 9 months and I'm still not driving a car I thought was a running 69 Mustang. I would not have paid as much as I did if I had known about all the problems. I really just wanted to post this somewhere so others that might be looking at buying a classic don't fall for the same thing I did.

Make sure to get an independent inspection from someone you trust. I know I have put a lot of money into this car but I don't plan on selling it either. I'm happy to have it, my wife is not right now. She thought, as I did, I was getting a car we could go crusin in on the weekend.

I just want to make sure others don't end up in the same situation.

Sorry to sound like I was venting, maybe I was a little.

Quick Reply: Official Build/Rebuild Thread of my 69FB