MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   1965 Shelby GT350R - Help with Modification List (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/523042-1965-shelby-gt350r-help-with-modification-list.html)

socalwrench 03-09-2009 02:46 PM

1965 Shelby GT350R - Help with Modification List

Here's one for all you Shelby fans- heh, I'm one too.

I am compiling a complete list of correct modifications for a 1965 Shelby GT350R. I've been able to uncover the larger ones, but there are several smaller ones that I'm sure someone knows. As you can tell there are several things that need to be added such as the engine and suspension specifics.

FYI: I am, now, converting a regular fastback to a period correct GT350R. Call it cloning if you want, I'm just building it as an R type.

Modification List:

* Remove/Delete front bumper, rear bumper, window vents, glass rear window, hood springs, carpet, headliner, dome light, door jamb switches, door panels, wheel center caps, wipers, glove box, spare tire, AC, stereo, antenna, factory gas tank, bucket seats
* Replace/Modify fiberglass hood with the correct scoop (for underside that attaches to the carburetor funnel), shocks with Koni racing shocks
* Install side window covers (plates), hood pins, trunk pin (with cap delete plate), vented plexiglass rear window, racing seats, roll cage, flat rear shelf (no spare tire hole), fuel cell, plastic door panels, door pull straps, racing seats, radio delete plate, fuel cell with racing type filler neck, carburetor funnel with safety wire, front 'monte carlo' brace, radiator bug screen
* Fabricate/Alter battery position to the rear, gauges and gauge panel, upper strut brace, front upper control arm mounting position, side exhaust

-Is the windshield changed?
-Did some of the cars have side mirrors from Shelby?
-Did some of the cars NOT have the front grill pony emblem?
-Once and for all, is the correct exhaust size 2" or 2 1/4" tubing?
-Which steering wheel is correct?
-Which shifter and knob are correct?
-Are the snap-on door panels made of plastic?
-Did the R type originally come with 5 point racing harnesses?
-I am aware that the door jamb swtiches are removed, but how much of wiring harness is modified?

1slow67 03-09-2009 02:58 PM

Check out Teamshelby.com

You could probably ask them on the forum and find out.

socalwrench 03-09-2009 03:00 PM

yeah, I guess that means joining another forum.

besides, most of those guys don't appreciate clones.

1slow67 03-09-2009 03:04 PM

I think it will be very nice once finished. Don't see how people don't like clones.

EDIT: Just noticed you posted on TMS too. Paul might be able to help you on there.

Starfury 03-09-2009 03:11 PM

Fomoco Forum

I've been a member there for almost as long as I've had my car. Great bunch of guys with a wide variety of experience and knowledge, generally geared more towards the restoration crowd (whereas this forum is more of a restomod forum). Ask those guys and they'll come up with you answers.

And on a personal note, you've got a big pair of brass ones to be modifying a GT350. I'm a big fan of the GT350R's, though, so I wish you luck:)

fakesnakes 03-09-2009 03:13 PM

Here are some links that might help:

http://cobranda.com/rsppa1.html

This one is even better:

http://site.cobranda.com/tech/rmodelcon.pdf

stangtjk 03-09-2009 03:48 PM

I have nothing against clones but I think it would be better investment wise to start with a regular mustang and not a GT350 or is it a GT350 clone?

jonward786 03-09-2009 03:56 PM

^^ i agree. why are you messing with a real 350. just go find a standard fastback and turn that into a 350R.

restore that real 350 to stock and go make bank at barret jackson

socalwrench 03-09-2009 06:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

To be honest, the only reason why I'm not restoring the GT350 to it's original condition is because how rough the car is. I guess a few people didn't realize how big a 1965 Shelby was worth back then. I am having to replace half the sheetmetal, and am using aftermarket/new replacement panels. I always thought that without taking other original Shelby parts- the car wouldn't be 100%. So, I figured I could make a really nice GT350R clone- since they only made 34 of them. At least the car would have some of the original Shelby stuff. The GT350R has to be one of favorite cars- simple, lightweight, V8, rwd, American performance.

I will check out the other forums.

Oxnard Montalvo 03-09-2009 07:20 PM

I suppose you can never have too much information.

SHELBY GT350 Race (R) Model
Unique Parts Listing

Let me see if I've got this right. You're going to take 1 of about 500 to turn it into a clone of 1 of 34. You do realize the 350 is worth about a 100 grand the way it sits? Sell it. That would pay for turning a T- code (1 of 71,000) into a perfect 350R clone and leave enough money for a tank of gas and lunch.