Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New/old 67 convertible project....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

IMO I would take it compleatly down to the frame. Im sure the cowl is rotted too. Thats a major fix. Take your time and use the search function on the forums, you will find most of your questions have already been answered with lots of pictures. You project can be done but its going to be a ton of work.

Show car huh? Maybe in the 70's?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:13 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Nope, going to be all stock except for some minor upgrades. Even if I do the V8 later, with the exception of the V8 items it will be stock. I'm not too big on changing things way out there. I'll upgrade with poly bushings, etc but the suspension will be pretty much stock.

What I'm concerned with is the tunnel and rockers. I am really not sure if I would be better off going with a whole new floor or just the two pans. Also the rockers, I'm curious as to how y'all would approach this and if you'd use the whole rockers or just do the inners.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangtjk
That car is pretty ate up but its just metal and it can all be replaced. The repop panels are pretty cheap but its a lot of work. I replaced every piece of the floor and frame from the tail light panel to the radiator (not stock though).
Yep sure is, I cut allot of it out but it just opened up worse areas. Mine doesn't need it past the floors and undercarriage but its bad and looks like allot of tight spots too.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rst08tierney
IMO I would take it compleatly down to the frame. Im sure the cowl is rotted too. Thats a major fix. Take your time and use the search function on the forums, you will find most of your questions have already been answered with lots of pictures. You project can be done but its going to be a ton of work.

Show car huh? Maybe in the 70's?
It sure is but just around the collars. Either way I have already purchased whole new cowls and I plan on stitching them in. I dont mind cowls though, I almost have it down to a T. My last three ponies were bad too and I changed them, I just cut the whole top panel out and go in from there.

LOL actually yeah! It was an old resto then that plus several years of abuse did that.

I will try and do some more searching, thanks guys!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

It would be great to see that vert at its prime. Did the PO have any show pictures that he gave you? I would love to see a before! Good luck on the restore, everyone here loves pictures so make sure you post the progress! Again, congrats on the find.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Actually yes I do have some before pics and they'll make you cry
Got one with the elderly gentleman sitting in it with a big smile. Also this car was his brothers car that he bought from him before he was killed. The old man still had his own mustang which was a blue 69 with shaker hood. I asked about that one and found out that another member of the family had gotten that one and just recently at that time wrapped it around a tree driving drunk. The old guy had all sorts of cool stuff like original ads and even a dealership sign from the dealership that one of his cars came from. Most of the parts were already gone but I tried to buy some of the leftover memorbilia and the guy tried to blatenly rip me off. Like $200-$300 for an old add which is just bizzare.

I remember I was really pissed off when I left those people. They were the kind that really didn't appreciate anything.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Joe67
Banned

i honestly dont know how you would do inner and out rockers with the full floor, normally with half floors, you would do one side at a time inner and outer, but since you need to lay the floor in under the rocker i don't see how it could be done, use half floors, cut the full floor in half, or pay a shop to figure it out.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:10 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Whelp I just dropped the sucker off at the shop the day before yesterday. He's going to go through it when he's not busy with collision work and will check everything out like the subframe condition and such while he's at it. I told him there's no rush and if it takes months then that's cool. I gave him all of the sheetmetal needed and I have more at the house in case he needs it. What we dont use I will post here for sale or giveaway.

Is $2,500 a good price for both inner and outer rockers, floors, toeboards, torque boxes, etc?????
Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 PM
TonyXR7

I'm new to the forums and have been reading a lot of different posts on replacing inner rocker panels on a convertible. I had a body guy look at my inner rocker panels and other parts of my car. He told me that only the inner rockers needed to be replaced.

The posts in this forum state to use braces for the convertible, seen this on a gazillion TV shows too, however I have been reading that keeping the doors on, the floors pans in, and the outer rocker panels in and supporting the car properly on a couple of sets of jack stands the body will be okay to cut out the inner rocker panels.

I'm not doing a complete restoration, just a replacement of the inner rocker panels. The body guy I spoke with said it was a big job either way.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:33 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

It's not that bad of a job Tony. If you do one side at a time it's easier I think.
First how bad off are yours? If it's for your cougar then post some pics here in my thread and we can look at it. If a Pony then start a new one so everyone can chime in.

Quick Reply: New/old 67 convertible project....