Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine Swap 200ci to 289

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
B_Syang

Default Engine Swap 200ci to 289

hey guys.

I am looking into doing an engine swap and am not to experienced with swapping engines so I ask some local shops in my area and they said it would cost roughly $3000.00 or so. The shop said this would include the engine which is a 289 "A" code, the mounts, spindles and everything else inbetween for a complete swap.

I wanted to know do you guys think that this is a fair price?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
smv244
Banned

Here you go
https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-or-302-a.html
This might help, I would rather have a 5.0 with efi than a 289

Last edited by smv244; 04-06-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 PM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

i will be attempting this swap in a few weeks when i get my 289 block back from the machine shop. i will try to document the swap but not sue how successful i will be since i will doing the work.

i think 3,000.00 installed for everything seems like a really good price. im going to be close to 1500-2000 for a basic engine rebuild and parts for the swap i think.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 AM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

Make sure that it is $3000 for everything, that you get it back ready and drivable. I am doing the same thing currently. My was a l6 and I am going with a 5.0 efi. I am doing most of the work. I bought a wreaked drivable 90 fox for 1100, headders, motor mount, frame mounts, oil pump, oil pump screen and other little things I still can't remember where extra aabout $400 (just got Out of work). Paid 85 to have the driveshaft cut and welded to my measured size.( guy welded it an inch smaller there is only 2.5 inches of the yoke in the trans. gotta let him know.) Took both gas tanks to get my modded to fit the fox pump there, trans crossmember almost forgot need the radiator been looking around they are about 180. Just read spindals? Do you still have 4 lug in there? I spend about another 650 for front and rear axel. That is around $2500 I wouldn't do everything I am doing for 500. Just make sure you/they now what You are expecting. Sorry for the ramble I am a little tired. If they agree to give your car back drivalbe for only 3000 for the swap without you paying or buying anything I would defently do it. I don't want to discourage you just trying to give you a little heads up. I thought I would be able to do everything for about 1500 before I actually started and i am already over my buget. Hopefully when I sell some thing for the fox it will help put me a little bit better close to my budget.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
B_Syang

Thanks for all of the info. After looking at the other forum thread I'm becoming a little interested in a modern swap now 5.0. I would like to keep it simple as possible (which means budget friendly). Should I go the EFI route or keep it carb? Looks like the fox body stangs make good donor cars from what I read. Do you guy's know of other cars that would be good donors that require little modification when swapping parts.

As metioned I have a I6 stock, I also want to upgrade the drum brakes to discs. What I really want is to have a daily driver but still have enough ponies so Vans stop passing me on the street.

All suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

A fox body makes an excellent donor car. You can take the entire drivetrain, although you'll need to get some 5-lug swap axles and brakes from an early Ranger or Aerostar (easy finds in a junkyard), and you can even use the EFI if you want. James W has a couple really good pages on the EFI swap.

As far as the front brakes/spindles go, your best bet is a Granada-style swap from CSRP. The kit includes everything you need to convert to 5-lug discs.

You'll also need to upgrade to V8 steering components and springs, and obviously you'll need a beefier radiator.

Keep in mind, simply buying a V8 car is probably going to be cheaper and easier.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

So has the 289 engine been rebuilt? What has been done to it? What parts did they use?

$3k for a wore out 289 swap does not sound like a very good deal, but if it has been machined and rebuilt, then you are in much better shape.

Ask for a BOM (Bill of Materials) for the swap and a BOM for the engine. That way you can tell for yourself if they did not include something that you know you will need.

If you do a decide to do a 5.0EFI swap, the same questions apply. What is the BOM?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

For that much i would buy a v8 mustang and sell your inline 6 car.To swap to the v8 suspension is around 2k plus your getting the engine tranny and every thing for a grand.Sounds like a iffy deal i would say no unless the engine tranny and rear end are all rebuilt for that price.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:20 PM
B_Syang

had a nother question? would a 1970 MAVERICK 2 DR WITH V8 be a good donor car. I saw an ad on CL for this car.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. to urban cowboy, the shop stated that it is a rebuilt 289 and has a 3 year warranty. Now I'm starting to question if just buying a v8 stang would be a more budget friendly build.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The maverick is based off a mustang 67/68 so the engine tranny will work i believe the spindles would but you need 67/68 tie rod ends i believe.The rear end i have no clue on.If the rear end will work and its under 1800 i would buy it even if its a rusted out 4 door.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap 200ci to 289