Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

3 point seat belt installation for coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:16 PM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

Default 3 point seat belt installation for coupe- How to

I have seen the installation on James W's page and while good, his did not exactly match my coupe. I didn't have the big hole to slide the bracket in to. The other link has you welding the piece back together. Also good information, but not over my new paint! So I decided to pass along how I did it. The first side took me about 20 minutes and the second was about 15.

1. I tapped the bracket that came with the belt kit. I tapped all 4 holes but only used the top 2.
2. I drilled out the allignment hole in the roof structure to a size bigger than the main seatbelt bolt.
3. I marked the 2 holes I was going to use for the bolts to hold the bracket in place. (marked with the arrows) and drilled them.
4. I drilled one hole (marked in the circle) to slide a wire in to to pull the bracket into place.
5. I took a coat hanger and ran it from the hole in the circle out the back of the sail panel area. I attached the hanger to the bracket on one side and ran a piece of wire through the other. I did that so I could get it back out if I needed to.
6. I pulled the bracket in to place and screwed the bolts in. I pulled the wire out and just cut the hanger off at the hole.

It was really easy and I think with all of the metal up there it should hold just fine.

I will pull the belt off and put the bolt back in (for location) when I do the headliner on Friday.

These also ride really well over the shoulder in this spot.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do this.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails 3 point seat belt installation for coupe-img_6466.jpg   3 point seat belt installation for coupe-img_6470.jpg   3 point seat belt installation for coupe-img_6476.jpg   3 point seat belt installation for coupe-img_6478.jpg   3 point seat belt installation for coupe-img_6480.jpg  

Last edited by cfd2bc; 04-29-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

Default More pictures

Here are some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails 3 point seat belt installation for coupe-img_6482.jpg   3 point seat belt installation for coupe-img_6483.jpg   3 point seat belt installation for coupe-img_6484.jpg  
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
JamesW

Looks great! You'll be happy you got the extension. It will fit a lot more comfortable.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

James,
I definitely took your advice on the extension. It drops it down to just the right spot.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
ThongsareSweet
1st Gear Member

awsome thread cfd2bc. My coupe is the same if my memory is correct. What kit is that? That doesn't look hard at all and maybe the cops will stop pulling me over to try and hit me with a seat belt ticket, that is when i get my car up and running again..
Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. The kit I used is the one from James W's link http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html. They shipped it out the same day I ordered it. I bought the install kit as well. I was actually very easy to do.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

So the WELR kit with the 11" sleeve???
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

Sorry. It is the "3 Point Retractable Seat Belts with Long Sash Guide" . Item # WELR-L. It has the 7" long sash guide. I did go with the bucket seat 11" sleeve (this part mounts to the trans tunnel) . I did not end up using the plastic piece that the short section goes through. The plastic piece is on the left in the picture. The short peice comes out of it. I just bolted the 11" piece to the tunnel.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails 3 point seat belt installation for coupe-welr-l-ends.jpg  

Last edited by cfd2bc; 04-30-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Thanks, I just ordered some. I've been needing to get them in before headliner.

Why didn't you use the sleeve?? Just out of curiosity.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:19 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Holy crap!!! I ordered at 2:08 and got a UPS tracking e-mail at 2:16!! 8 minutes to process my order and create shipping documents.

Quick Reply: 3 point seat belt installation for coupe