Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Good deal on exhaust, or should I look elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Default Good deal on exhaust, or should I look elsewhere.

Ive been looking for a dual exhaust system for my 67 for a little while. Ive thought about buying all the parts separately, and Ive thought about buying a full kit. Its pretty much always come out to about 320-400 dollars. I found a kit on ebay, and the guy said hell give it to me for 155 without the mufflers (I want to buy Flowmaster 40s). Heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

So that would make it 185.00 shipped for everything I need, except for the Flowmasters and turndowns for the ends. I can get a pair of Flowmasters for about 120ish shipped, so that puts my total at about $305. This leaves me some more room to pay for installation at a shop. You guys think this is a good price for a dual exhaust setup with Flowmasters? If so, I just needa get the parts and go over to some shops and get quotes.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Why not get a shop to do the whole thing for you? Go out and get a couple quotes and see what you come up with. Tell them you'll provide the mufflers.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Will do. When I get some time I will. Generally would you say classic restoration shops would charge a higher or lower price than any old exhaust shop? I know it varies greatly depending on the shop, but I dont want to travel too far for an outrageous quote.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Most shops can and will custom bend a complete system H pipe included for under $300.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:40 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

yeah man take it to a shop. when i had mine done i was in a hurry so i settled for first shop i went to and they charged me 400 flat for the whole system, which included a new set of flow44s, all the 2.5" pipe and clamps.

figure the piping will be about 4$ a foot, need 20-30 feet of it depending where you route it.

keep in mind that these guys who do nothing but weld all day can do it in their sleep. he charged me for 1 hour of labor and when i got back to the shop he said it literally took him 37 minutes.

i got back to the shop and he said "i forgot to ask you if wanted the tips out the back or just dumped in front of axle. i said "well out the back" he goes, "ok well before i do that, go start the car and listen to how it sounds right now (it was dumped). needless to say i was satisfied.

now i just avoid dusty roads. dumped ftw!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Looks like a good deal. Assuming pipes area aluminized. If you can find someone to custom bend with H for $300 I'd go for that. I put mine on myself with parts from CJ Pony - Had well over $300 in parts - did not weld just clamped. I should have tried a muffler shop - just assumed it would have been a lot higher.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
Most shops can and will custom bend a complete system H pipe included for under $300.
Sounds good. Im gunna check out some shops this weekend.

Ill go here first:
http://www.classiccraft.com/index.html

Last edited by AlexZi; 04-30-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Well its been a while and Ive stocked up on parts. I got Hooker Comp headers, and a pair of Hooker Aerochambers. I went out to a few shops and got bad news quotes. $800 at 2 shops, $600 at another. I think this is outrageous. All I want is someone to bend some pipes for me and weld up an exhaust system with my supplied parts, and I get these high quotes. So what I did was went ahead and ordered an exhaust kit from summit, and Ill go have this guy near my who specializes in Mustangs and Cobras weld it together for me. Hopefully it wont be more than 1 or 2 hours of labor. Should cost me no more than 200 bucks. If I cant find someone to do it for 200 or less Id be seriously pissed. The Summit kit comes with mufflers, but I wont be using them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680110/

Im fed up. Ive spent $440 in parts already.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

custom shop??
around here anyways, theres really only one shop. we took our GMC 2500 there cause we wanted a muffler back system ( starting infront of the muffler, which is right BEHIND the cab) so it would be true duals out the back. they wanted 400, and thats with 20.00 cherry bomb mufflers
Old 06-14-2009, 11:08 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

I went to a dude who does late model cars, but also does classics too. Hes the one who quoted me 800 bucks...he can go screw himself. I called up a classic only shop and he recommended that I buy a kit because it will be cheaper than him bending the pipes...ger..Im annoyed.

Quick Reply: Good deal on exhaust, or should I look elsewhere.