Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Only runs for 15 seconds!! ....HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
mortimor

Default Only runs for 15 seconds!! ....HELP...

Newly rebuilt 351 Cl. motor, I believe Im having problems with fuel staying in the fuel bowl. Car wont stay running longer than 15 seconds, no matter what I try. I have a brand new fuel tank, sending unit, electric fuel pump, filters and just rebuilt the 2v carb last night....still when i open the carb up, no fuel in bowl....
Also, fuel only shows in the see-thru filter upon startup, then drops down to about 1/2 in.or less continuously...I dont know if thats normal though.
Thanks..
Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Gun Jam

remove fuel line from carb and stick it in a glass jar and check for fuel flow/volume...if its working it should dump about 1 cup in about 3 to 5 second.

Also since you made what I personally feel is a mistake of installing and electric fuel pump I would put blame on the regulator or pump its self if there is no fuel flow.

If there is good fuel flow and your wondering what the hell a regulator is then that's your problem.

Good luck and happy hunting

-Gun
Old 05-02-2009, 01:07 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

What is the location of the fuel pump?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:19 PM
mortimor

I tested the fuel flow and its great. Ive got fuel staying in the bowl now too..But still have the same problems with it not staying running... pumping the throttle when its beginning to cut out, helps keep it alive for mabe upto 30 seconds.
The elec. fuel pump is 8-10 in. from the tank...
Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

any filters? if yes are they see through so you can see if the filter is full or getting full of air?
do you have a fuel pressure gauge? what's the pressure at start and when it happens?
what electric fuelpump are you using exactly and what regulator (if any) ?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM
mortimor

I have 2 filters, the one that screws into the carb is brand new, and the inline ( see-thru) is older but clean..I do see bubbles occasionally in the filter, and it does drain pretty quick...
when starting....the filter fills up to full, and then when running it lowers to about 1/4 of the way.
my fuel pump is just a standard aftermarket pump (Airtex brand, part # e8012s )for pressures within the range for stock-mild performance motors...
Regulator is stock, and possibly the original 73'...its for sure at least 18 yrs.old....(as long as ive owned the car....
Im starting to definatly lean towards the regulator thought here...
Old 05-02-2009, 06:12 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yah. 5-9 psi and 30gph. that should at least idle.
i guess what you see in the filter (air) is in synch with the engine stalling.
I had the same before with electric fuel pump. electric fuel pumps are not good at sucking. only pushing. so if the fuel from tank doesn't flow directly into the pump (without sucking) then this might be your problem. means if the feeder in the tank is at the top.
I have my money on as soon as the filter is full the car starts. then the filter empties out and then it stalls.
does it happen cold as well? i guess so much from what I read here. that was my problem. the fuel would get too warm. maybe you have fuel line too close to exhaust or similar. but that wouldn't get hot in 30 seconds
Old 05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

i had a similar "running for 15 seconds" problem. turns out i had a coil that was too hot for the electronic ignition module. (i.e. you cant use a flamethrower 2 coil with an Ignitor 1 ignition module). it would start fine but in a matter of 15-20 seconds it would burn up the Ignitor and sputter and die.

just thought id throw that out there on the off chance that it is your problem
Old 05-02-2009, 06:33 PM
mortimor

ahhh...might have something there...
ok, I was using my Accel (hot) coil with a pertronix ignitor II points.....I was trouble shooting things a few days ago and swapped the ignitor II for OEM points and condensor....
So, now I probably do have too hot of coil....hmmmmmm
thanks..
Ill put on my OEM coil back and test this theory out...
Old 05-02-2009, 06:35 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

anything else you changed before the problem started ? good luck. maybe it is just the coil

Quick Reply: Only runs for 15 seconds!! ....HELP...