Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

flex plate, starter, or torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 PM
2laneStang

Default flex plate, starter, or torque converter?

Well im trying to get my new motor and trans in and running and ive got one of those issues that really makes you want to throw something but im skeered i'll scratch my new paint. I bolted my motor and trans together out of the car. I know I got my converter all the way in but my prob is when I turn my engine over by hand the flex plate hangs on the starter exactly where the balance weight is on the flex plate. Its like the flexplate is bent or has a wobble to it, because it only rubs when that balance weight comes around to the starter. Or could it be the starter? I dont know? Anyone ever run into this or is this just one of those stupid things that seem to only happen to me? If I cant see anything I missed tomorrow im pullin the trans back out.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Gun Jam

Dont be skeered...

This sounds exactly like what happens when the TC isnt fully seated....
The next thing that comes to mind is the weight is larger....Did you get the correct balance factor? I think you need the 28oz BF.

I was reading a post the other day that sounded exactly like this and it was an improperly seated TC.

Read this then tell me im wrong....
https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...d-how-why.html

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 05-08-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 AM
dnswwood
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

I agree ..sounds like T/C isnt fully seated ..you have to sorta spin it a few times to get it to seat all the way

Jeff
Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

The only way to really know if your torque converter is truly seated correctly is to place a straight edge across the bellhousing and measure down to the bolt boss pads on the converter. Each tranny has a slightly different depth you should measure and you need to know the acceptable range for yours. The torque converter not seated properly is exactly what this sounds like. On some you really have to work it to get it fully seated. Unfortunately, you need to pull the tranny.