Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Got my heads in... w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 PM
polo708
2nd Gear Member

Default Got my heads in... w/ pics

Got my heads in, AFR 185's... man are these things sweet. I know they all look the same but im just excited and wanted to post them up, sorry. I also got in my 347 shortblock from fordstrokers.com but its all wrapped up still. Waiting to buy an engine stand before unwrapping it.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

so clean and sparkly. Thats going to be a nice engine when its all assembled. Post some pics along the way.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Man those are nice. Is that the cnc ported heads? Damn it man, go to Pep Boys or somewhere and get that stand for $50!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 PM
polo708
2nd Gear Member

Ive been removing the old paint from the engine bay, havent gotten too much done yet:

Here is my new motor, still wrapped up. Its a shortblock from fordstrokers.com

Here are my long tube headers and the tranny along side the new motor:

Brand new fuel tank... painted and installed:
Old 05-31-2009, 11:30 AM
countryboy116
2nd Gear Member

nice! good choice with the ford strokers shortblock, did you also get the custom ground CI cam?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 PM
ThongsareSweet
1st Gear Member

very nice i like the heads a lot.. Iam still looking into building a 347 for my mustang but Iam going to tackle the body first before I jump into making a beast. How hard was it to change out the gas tank? I was thinking about changing mine out because when I was looking it over, first my gas gauge is messed 1/4 tank is empty and the thing has been painted recently, its weird though it doesn't look new and I can smell gas vapours when iam near it. Its not leaking but you sure get a wiff when near it, Clamp is probably loose or something
Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

I have the same heads double check your studs maybe even a lil lock tight.
I didn'dt but will have to and so will you eventually, put steel inserts in the exhaust mounting holes.
They will chip and cross thread so quick its too late when you see it happen.
I would say for the cash they should have came with the inserts.

Now the good point is on my 347 some power is there and a lot of fun to be head.
Cant say im disappointed with them just something they need to address if Edelbrock offers the same performance without that issue I may re-think the AFR's on my next build.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
polo708
2nd Gear Member

put steel inserts in the exhaust mounting holes.
cool, Ill look into that thanks.

How hard was it to change out the gas tank?
One of the easiest things Ive done to it so far, haha. Took me about 30 minutes(plus time to paint it) and didn't run into any problems. Cost me about $120 total.

did you also get the custom ground CI cam
Thats what im leaning towards. I was thinking of a Comp Cam, but for an extra $50 why not go with a custom one right, haha. I hear good things about CI so thats what I will most likely end up with.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Those are really nice. They sure look big next to those naked toes... Sounds like you're building a nice engine and doing it right. I am thinking about replacing my gas tank as well since it's 40 years old.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
UH60LCHIEF
1st Gear Member

I agree w/cmanf. AFR's are nice flowing heads, as long as you don't go too crazy with the cam lift (unless you are going with shaft mount rockers) or you will probably run into some issues with them wanting to come right out on you. It's the same situation he was describing with the exhaust mount holes no inserts/helicoils. I've had three friends run into that problem. Sounds like it'll be a kick **** motor when it's done though. Just an FYI. One of my friends got that surprise on the dyno during break in of his 410. He was not a happy camper but he was getting quite silly with the lift. $1200 worth of shaft mount rockers later it works like a champ, but it was a costly little surprise.

Last edited by UH60LCHIEF; 06-01-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Got my heads in... w/ pics