Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Painting my 66 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Default Painting my 66 Fastback

So, the body work is complete and I'm all ready for paint and decided to do it myself. I bought one of these, which means if it works the way everyone says it does, I may become the roving painter!

I also decided on my paint colors. I'm going to use Eastwood's new paint system and if you go to their site you will see Quarter Mile Candy Red and USA Bright White. The white will only be used for the GT350 sill stripes and the hood treatment which I am laying out similar to the 70 Boss 302 hood.

The plan is to lay down 3 coats of high build primer on Monday. Block it down on Friday and paint next weekend. Aggressive and the schedule may slip a bit, but I will have my car on the road by the end of June. Wish me luck!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:00 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Nice! Where did you pick up that thing? How are you going to set up your homemade paintbooth?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thats cool, I can't wait to see it as it nears completion.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

what is that thing? haha

edit, i found it. thats pretty awesome!

Last edited by racin66coupe; 05-29-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

It's a sweet setup! I was looking at it myself but chickened out & farmed out the paint to a professional shop. I sprayed a few coats of the Epoxy primer and glad I didn't do final paint. I just used a twin filtered respirator and know one of these will be a definite purchase in the future. So nice to have fresh air.

I think your colors and layout sounds great & cant wait to see pics. Good luck on the sanding and paint!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:00 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Here is the set up on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-STA...motiveQ5fTools

My booth will be my garage. Filters over the window in the garage and a fan in the door. Plastic covering the walls and tools, wash down the floor, and spray away. Once I have the primer and guide coat on, I'll pull it out into the driveway for block sanding and clean up. Then back in the garage for final wipedown, tack cloth, sealer, base, stripes, and clear coat.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:10 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Good luck with it, do some practice with some cheap paint if you have never shot any before. Its good to get used to the gun you just bought by painting something like a mail box or an old hood.

Come to think of it I need a better gun for base coats and clear.. Well I am ouit to slap some filler on a Trans Am. I cant wait until the bodywork is done and I can play with engines and transmissions again.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

That is a very nice set up!
You might want to think about a water trap and another section of air hose. I was surprised how much water was in air. I had a few fish eyes in the epoxy without a water trap and none in the BC/CC after it was installed.
A paint suit and gloves are also a good idea to protect you from the ISO's.
Be sure to post pics!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Ron, the air is dried and moisture free. That also makes it warm and it can cause problems if you use the wrong reducer on a hot day. I'll definitely practice. I'll get used to the gun and set up spraying primer. Then top coat a few objects before trying it on my car. I have Thursday and Friday off and the wife is away, so I have a small window of opportunity. Pics to come!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Those colors sound awesome. I'll check out the website for Eastwood later. Let me know what you think of that portable spray gun. I did not know you could have them that small. Good luck with your window and I hope your time table does not get stretched too much.

Quick Reply: Painting my 66 Fastback