Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

17" wheels - is this backspacing acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodgestang
pfft look at all the room..I would add 1/8 spacer and plus size the tire
I'm thinking about a small spacer in the rear. Can you use a 1/8" (.125) spacer without longer studs? Only $6 each at Summit.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I'm thinking about a small spacer in the rear. Can you use a 1/8" (.125) spacer without longer studs? Only $6 each at Summit.
Only you can answer that question. How long are your studs If they come through the spacer and the wheel far enough for good solid thread engagement then you have your answer. Then again....I run 3 inch studs in mine.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodgestang
Only you can answer that question. How long are your studs If they come through the spacer and the wheel far enough for good solid thread engagement then you have your answer. Then again....I run 3 inch studs in mine.
Stock is like 1.5" - how do you run 3" studs? Huge lugnuts?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Cut the caps of the acorns or buy open lugs. I needed longer studs. The look has grown on me

Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shelbymustangdan
See if this Photobucket thing works.......(never used it before)

http://s711.photobucket.com/albums/w...lbymustangdan/

Let me know if you can access the photos!!
your fenders are flared right?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nba1341
your fenders are flared right?

No, stock fenders. Once I put them on, I had a "second thought" of going with a narrower tire up front, but they don't cause ANY problems, and have a nice stance. (although the manual steering is a BEAR!)

The rear is stock as well. New leaf springs, Edelbrock IAS shocks, etc. So there is no "sagging old suspension" out back. Yes, could possibly have gone with a wider tire out back, but I didn't want "deep dish" rims on my 67. Spacers would be an option, but not on my list of things right now.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

No, stock fenders. Once I put them on, I had a "second thought" of going with a narrower tire up front, but they don't cause ANY problems, and have a nice stance. (although the manual steering is a BEAR!)

The rear is stock as well. New leaf springs, Edelbrock IAS shocks, etc. So there is no "sagging old suspension" out back. Yes, could possibly have gone with a wider tire out back, but I didn't want "deep dish" rims on my 67. Spacers would be an option, but not on my list of things right now.
Could you measure the distance from the tire to the fender lip? I'm trying to figure out how "sunken in" the front and rear tires are with this particular wheel size and backspace. It almost looks like the rear could use 1" wheel adapters (spacers) but it's tough to tell. Thanks!

Last edited by Adam; 06-02-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
Could you measure the distance from the tire to the fender lip? I'm trying to figure out how "sunken in" the front and rear tires are with this particular wheel size and backspace. It almost looks like the rear could use 1" wheel adapters (spacers) but it's tough to tell. Thanks!
I tried to take a couple of pictures, using a straight edge and measuring tape, but the pics didn't turn out very well. (you really can't see the fender lip)

So, I laid the metal straight edge against the tire, from top to bottom, then measured from the straight edge to the fender lip. NOTE: in my case, I have the stock fender well trim pieces installed. Based on those measurements:

Front: Tire edge to the edge of the stock fender well trim = 3/4"
Rear: Tire edge to the edge of the stock fender well trim = 1 3/4"

Also to help, I took the camera, placed it on the center cap, pointed straight up, and took a shot of the front and rear. (from that view)

Help this helps.....

Dan
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

i guess i need to do something similar since my 215's rub against my rear fender
Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I tried to take a couple of pictures, using a straight edge and measuring tape, but the pics didn't turn out very well. (you really can't see the fender lip)

So, I laid the metal straight edge against the tire, from top to bottom, then measured from the straight edge to the fender lip. NOTE: in my case, I have the stock fender well trim pieces installed. Based on those measurements:

Front: Tire edge to the edge of the stock fender well trim = 3/4"
Rear: Tire edge to the edge of the stock fender well trim = 1 3/4"

Also to help, I took the camera, placed it on the center cap, pointed straight up, and took a shot of the front and rear. (from that view)

Help this helps.....

Dan
Dan,

You've definitely gone above and beyond to help me out. I really appreciate it!