Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cleaning my intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

Default Cleaning my intake manifold

hey everyone, just here to get some suggestions on how to clean my intake manifold. i tried gunk engine degreaser but its not tough enough... this thing is the origional and hasny been cleaned in 20 yrs. i have some gunk carb cleaner from the basket, would that do the trick or will it skrew it up? Also, the paint on the manifold is peeling, does it need to be on there or should i just strip it. Thanks a lot, without this forum id be a lost soul...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

no the paint doesnt need to be there. its just paint. and your not going to screw it up by cleaning it. you should just take it off and take a pressure washer too it or steamer and then repaint it ford blue to make it look better
Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

how many cans would I need?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

1 (and since the minimum response limit is 5 characters), just do it.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

I would like to but this is the origional manifold here, it has the fomoco part numbers and logo, everything. if I sand it down to paint it I am gonna loose a lot of that stuff, how do I preserve it?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

You don't need to sand it, take it to a car wash and use the degreaser function, should get it clean enough to paint. Any remaining loose paint can be removed with a wire brush. Paint with a rattle can.

No offense, but are you experienced enough to do an intake R&R? If you're not confident, don't do it. You can probably clean it up good enough for most people without removing it, again a good degreaser and wire brush (preferrably on a drill). You'll need to disconnect any wires and hoses that are in the way, so mark them well before removing so you know where they go back. A good picture before you start will help you get it back together as well.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

the manifolds off, i did that about a week ago, im confident in that prosses im just not good with paints and cleaning. I appreciate your concern though. thanks for the help.

When it comes to being clean enough to paint, the surface is pretty rough. While cleaning it the entire bottom of the manifold turned orange, I cleaned it off hand it came back. Is this rust? is that normal?

Last edited by Se4mus1; 06-04-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 PM
66FB06GT
1st Gear Member

That sounds like rust and it normal if you put water on it. I have an aluminum intake on mine, but the process of cleaning/painting is farily similar (except you can take a wire brush to yours). Here are some details/pics of what I did to mine:

http://www.fastbackmustang.com/Proje...keRenewal.aspx

The good thing about it is even if you are not good with cleaning and painting it is super cheap. You can take your time and redo it if necessary. Once you get the hang of it you will be cleaning and painting everything

Go to your local hardware store and get a hand wire brush, and I also recommend an assortment that you can put in a drill. They were a good investment for me as I have used the heck out of them. For painting I bought one of those $3 attachments for a rattle can. For me I can paint 100 times better and rarely have drips or runs in the paint.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

is that rust gonna hurt it? everytime I get it off it shows back up
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

wire brush the hell outta it and spray it down with some good engine paint in blue as said above. a good wire brush cleanin to remove rust and the rest of the stuff should be good enough

Quick Reply: Cleaning my intake manifold