Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Door lock cylinder came loose, spinning

Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Default Door lock cylinder came loose, spinning

The door lock cylinder on my '65 spins now when you try to turn the key (ie its no longer tight to the body, you can see where the paint broke around it. I can't tell how it was originally held tight - in order for me to get a grasp on how to fix it. It looks like it is very hard to take the door apart by just looking at it.

How do I fix the cylinder from spinning? If it requires taking apart the door, how complicated is it and how do you do it (any guides?)?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

There is a clip inside the door that holds it tight, it must have popped off.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

You have to take the inside of the door apart. Start by removing the window crank and door handle. You will need a special tool for that to slide between the handle and door to release a clip which holds it to the shaft. It's a flat U shaped tool. I got a whole set at Harbor Freight for $5.
Then, remove the arm rest. There are two screws under it. Simple.
Next use a flat tool like a putty knife or the same tool you used on the window crank handle under the edges of the door panel. There are clips which you just pry out. Once the panel is off you can get inside the door.
You can look up into the door and see the lock...and you can reach up and get your fingers on it, but you can't do both at the same time. Take a look at the set up and then reach up. You pretty much have to work by sense of feel.
The clip in previous post holds the lock from pulling out of the outside of the door but there is also a little snap connector which snaps onto the rod. That may have broken or come loose. If you feel a little piece swinging free up in there, that is what happened.
The snap connector is small...maybe 1/2 inch long by 1/8 inch around. It is used to keep the rod from slipping out of the hole in the lock cylinder. The rod is what actually moves when you turn the key.
I did this on both doors when I disassembled the car for paint. I had the advantage of taking it apart so I knew how it went together. It can be frustrating and it will take a while to get that little snap clip on.
If the clip is broken you will need a new one.
If You just can't get it snapped on try taking off the clip shown in the previous post. It is flush against the inside of the outer door panel. Once that is off you can remove the lock from the outside of the door and see how the snap clip works.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
There is a clip inside the door that holds it tight, it must have popped off.

Ah, that was the case with the spinning - the clamp had come out of the little notch that holds the cylinder tight against the door. I took a screw driver and pushed that back in. That stopped the spinning.

However, it is still wiggly against the door because the clamp is obviously slipping off. I look in and see a gap between the C part of the clip and the cylinder, like in this drawing:

Can you think of any way to pull it back in tight without taking the door apart? Is there a tool that can twist around and hook onto the back of the clamp so I can pull it towards me? Here are a couple pictures of what I am looking at and dealing with:

The clamp is in the very background.

Another:

Last edited by Canary94GT; 06-12-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Damn, while I was writing all that you posted that you got it done. Talk about bad timing. I couldn't have waited a few minutes.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Hey man, I really appreciate the write-up. It sounds like I may have to do that after all since the clip appears to be loose... on both sides. Just to be clear, there is no sealant or anything you have to break when you take the panel off, correct?

Speaking of which, on the other door, I can't even turn the key to lock or unlock it, but I can still barely push and pull on the lock ****. Anyone know what may cause this?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:29 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

No sealer. There is a paper moisture barrier. It is just stuck on.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:34 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
Hey man, I really appreciate the write-up. It sounds like I may have to do that after all since the clip appears to be loose... on both sides. Just to be clear, there is no sealant or anything you have to break when you take the panel off, correct?

Speaking of which, on the other door, I can't even turn the key to lock or unlock it, but I can still barely push and pull on the lock ****. Anyone know what may cause this?
The moisture barrier sheet is attached to the door with strip-caulk.

Sounds like you need to invest in a new lock set (both doors and ignition) and start fresh.