Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:04 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrm747
hello,
I have a 65 coupe i am currently doing a lot of work on for a customer. most of what i am doing is body work, most all new sheet metal, wheel tubs, etc. he wants to upgrade the steering and handling as well. he keeps getting ragged that all the money he is putting into it will not be worth it because it will not hook up and it will drive like a boat. thats what he is being told anyways. so, i wanted to know what some of the best ways to upgrade this thing would be and companies?
I gotta go with the others on the 1" relocation of the upper arms, along with 1" front bar, good shocks, export brace, and Monte Carlo bar.

As for "hooking up", a set of Traction Masters (not the imitation crap, the real thing) will do the trick on the back. You do that to this car, and he'll have a major upgrade in how the car drives without going into the poorhouse. For sure he'll be able to impress his friends.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

How does he want to use the car tho? a driver a drag car road racer or what?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
How does he want to use the car tho? a driver a drag car road racer or what?
i believe the goal is to get rid of the boat feeling first of all, and the mods mentioned make it a completely different car to drive.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

A simple rebuild the a arms roller spring perches new springs and shocks.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Not2Slo

Hello All,
I have a '65 Fastback and I am searching for the correct information and parts list on what is needed to lower the front about 1 1/2 inches. I have lowering springs, believe the spring rate is 780 lbs, she has Uni-Steer rack and pinion with disc brakes. I would like to add Wilwood cross-drilled and vented brakes with Red calipers eventually. Any one that can help would be sincerely appreciated. You can see the build on YouTube, type in 1965 Mustang Fastback Restoration, has over 1,110,000 views and she looks much better now, jsut took more cash as always.
Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe-65-at-good-guys-front.jpg   better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe-65-at-good-guys-passenger-right-front.jpg   better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe-65-front-with-amber.jpg   better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe-65-with-amber-left-front.jpg   better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe-65-with-amber-passenger-side.jpg  

Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Hello All,
I have a '65 Fastback and I am searching for the correct information and parts list on what is needed to lower the front about 1 1/2 inches.
Use 1" lowering springs, and do the Arning Drop.

http://www.mustangbarn.com/PDFs/Arni...ion%20Drop.pdf

I have lowering springs, believe the spring rate is 780 lbs, she has Uni-Steer rack and pinion with disc brakes. I would like to add Wilwood cross-drilled and vented brakes with Red calipers eventually. Any one that can help would be sincerely appreciated. You can see the build on YouTube, type in 1965 Mustang Fastback Restoration, has over 1,110,000 views and she looks much better now, just took more cash as always.
Sounds like overkill. What brakes do you have now?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:13 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hello;

sorry but don't understand your question . . if you have lowering springs but you do not have a spring spacer and it sits too high simply cut off around 1/2 of a coil and try it . . cut off just a little at a time until it gets where you want it.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:45 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I finally got around to doing the Arning drop on my car. It made a huge difference in the way it handles and feels. I wish I had done it a few years ago when I rebuilt the front suspension. I say roller spring perches and roller idler arm are great upgrades too.

With a few upgrades or modifications the stock front end can be made to work really well. There is no need for rack and pinion etc.

The real Traction Master bars will definitely help it hook up.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 11-13-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:11 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

On my 66 I have
1. Gr-2 shocks
2. Arning drop
3. All new control arms, tierods, idler arm
4. Roller perches
5. 1" In lowered GT springs
6. Monte Carlo bar
7. Export brace
8. 1" sway bar
9. Mid eye 4 leafs
10. tin man subframes
11. Oem style disk brakes

Don't have traction bars - car is about 350 hp/tq and don't have a problem with wheel hop.

Car drives great. Anybody I let drive it say it drives better than their newer car.

Doing a 67 build soon and will go with identical set up.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Not2Slo

Thanks all for your comments and direction to help me make these adjustments. I'll start the final search on the parts list and get started in the sprng. Just to darn cold at 10 degrees to do now and I don't have a heated shop for the project.
Thanks again.

Last show for Spokane Hot Rod for 2014, a casual photo shoot, and Amber really helped my '65!

Lovely Amber with my '65.

Quick Reply: better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe