Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
jrm747

Default better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe

hello,
I have a 65 coupe i am currently doing a lot of work on for a customer. most of what i am doing is body work, most all new sheet metal, wheel tubs, etc. he wants to upgrade the steering and handling as well. he keeps getting ragged that all the money he is putting into it will not be worth it because it will not hook up and it will drive like a boat. thats what he is being told anyways. so, i wanted to know what some of the best ways to upgrade this thing would be and companies?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

First thing would be to drop the UCA mounting points 1" and move them back 1/8" (iirc). Check out the pages on the DazeCars site about the Shelby drop. He can even sell you a template and drill bit. This is single mod will make more difference in handling than just about anything else you will do to the car, and it costs almost nothing (in parts).

Other improvements include springs and shocks, larger front sway bar, monte carlo bar, and export brace. Subframe connectors wouldn't be a bad idea either, but aren't necessarily required.

For traction improvement, Traction Masters traction bars. Not cheapo bolt-on jobs, the real thing. These will eliminate wheel hop and won't bind the suspension in corners.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
CAD
1st Gear Member

What about an AJE front end? I think they run around $2500 and that includes suspension and rack and pinion.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:25 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I'm going to order a few suspension parts soon to freshen up my car from Opentracker. I just emailed them what I plan to do with my car and a budget and they were able to recommend a new setup for me. They may take a week or so to respond because of how busy they are.

But depending on the goal and budget there are tons of coil over kits out there there ranging from about $900 like the bolt on kit from Total Control Products to kits costing thousands more with disc brake conversions also.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrm747
hello,
I have a 65 coupe i am currently doing a lot of work on for a customer. most of what i am doing is body work, most all new sheet metal, wheel tubs, etc. he wants to upgrade the steering and handling as well. he keeps getting ragged that all the money he is putting into it will not be worth it because it will not hook up and it will drive like a boat. thats what he is being told anyways. so, i wanted to know what some of the best ways to upgrade this thing would be and companies?
Do some research before you purchase. Ask the customer his budget and goals. I think the brakes should be upgraded first and foremost. Many people don't realize the difference in stopping power between the new cars/trucks and these antiques. If the customer wants to upgrade steering, suspension and brakes, there are some complete kits that are pricey but ends up cheaper than doing them individually.

I have done quite a bit of internet research studying feedback from hobbyists and the low budget consensus is 1" lower "620" springs(560 rating), roller perches, good shocks(be careful of stiffness), fatty swaybar, front disc brakes, rack and pinion steering and adjustable strut rods. Parts cost can vary widely from $2800(as listed) to $5000(the full monty as I like to call it).

I strongly recommend a dual master cylinder and proportioning valve. You will more than likely replace all the brake lines too.

This isn't a small undertaking. Do some homework. Talk to some local mustang shops.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
means42

Originally Posted by Starfury
First thing would be to drop the UCA mounting points 1" and move them back 1/8" (iirc). Check out the pages on the DazeCars site about the Shelby drop. He can even sell you a template and drill bit. This is single mod will make more difference in handling than just about anything else you will do to the car, and it costs almost nothing (in parts).

Other improvements include springs and shocks, larger front sway bar, monte carlo bar, and export brace. Subframe connectors wouldn't be a bad idea either, but aren't necessarily required.

For traction improvement, Traction Masters traction bars. Not cheapo bolt-on jobs, the real thing. These will eliminate wheel hop and won't bind the suspension in corners.
Whats the web site for the shelby drop template?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think it's this

http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/test

It might be productive to find out just how serious the customer is, and whether the car is ever expected to be driven in events where such modifications might affect the classification of the car.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-11-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
pass1over
1st Gear Member

http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/bump

is one of them

or just look up mustang shelby drop template on google and download/print your own for free.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

as all the others say:
the shelby drop will improve front end handling and the only thing it'll cost is the labour (daze sells templates for drilling for 10$ or so if you need them)

I haven't done it yet, but everyone is very excited about it. i have planned it for the winter.
The biggest (cheap) improvment I have done to mine (same body as yours) is to add monte carlo bar and export brace.
this gets rid of the front end boat feeling.
You can get those parts from every mustang parts house.

Last edited by kalli; 11-11-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Read the Daze article on Mustang suspensions - http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101
it gives a good overview of these old suspensions, weak points and areas you can improve and still stay pretty stock.

There are plenty of guys racing competitively with a few choice upgrades (roller spring perches, adj. strut rods, roller idler arm for manual steer, disc brakes) that translate into a good driving street car also. You don't have to bust the bank or go full coil over/rack & pinion to have a nice performing street car, look at all options and see how much the customer wants to spend and if they want to take their car in the stock/nonstock direction.
Jon

Quick Reply: better front end suspension for 65 mustang coupe