Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

help! car died on me going down the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:42 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

well, points didnt work. although the wire lead to the coil didnt have one of those metal loops at the end. i just sorta stripped the wire and wrapped a couple times then bolted it on. but nothings working! getting annoyed. if i cant get this thing rolling tommorow, im admiting defeat and having it towed back to my house...
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

YOu may want to turn the car over with the cap off. Make sure you see the rotor spinning.

I had this same issue and it ended up being a broken timing Chain.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

yikes. thats whats scaring me. if this isnt just a simple pump or somthing, its gona be big work. i havnt heard any rattling around like somthing is really broken though. I gotta charge my battery up too. its getting weak from trying to start. I did pull the plugs and they all look fine.

heres the next question, if this is a fuel issue, fuel pump, or fuel sending unit? im getting fuel at the carb when its pumped so pump?
when it was running, soon before this, when I hit the gas kinda hard, there would be this big cut out like the engine almost stopped or somone hit the brake real hard. if i pushed the gas slowly there would be what felt like a mis fire for a second. was worse when the car was under load in a higher gear
Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

just trying to do this right...what are some good ways of checking spark at the plug? ive heard of the screw driver trick, but never done it. just hold the wire near screwdriver and driver near metal?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Anth

Its already been mentioned, but it does sound as if you may have water in the fuel tank.
try disocnnecting the fuel pipe and turning the engine over for a bit. It should pull any water through the system. Car may start but run lumpy for a few days.
The symptoms seem to be similar to what happened to my modern car when I inadvertently poured some very old (6 years) petrol into the tank.

Its essential you find out if you have a spark, check your plugs and make sure theres no damage to any of the leads.

Compression testing.....hmmm remove a plug, put your finger over the hole and get someone to turn the engine over, it should "blow out" either moving your finger off the hole or breaking the seal created by your finger.

I'd probably look at pulling some more fuel through the system first, its probably the quickest thing. The water is heavier than the petrol so will sink to the bottom of the tank.
After that its electrical in my oppinion.....check for a spark.

EDIT: Could it be a bad earth?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Half your symptoms say loss of spark and half say bad fuel.

Get a multimeter and make sure the coil has voltage when the key is on. Seeing as your stuck on the side of the road the easiest way to eliminate fuel from the problem is to pour a mouthful of fresh gas directly down the carburetor and see if it at least coughs and sputters. It's a crude technique but it works. Be careful and don't pour more than an ounce or two in case it backfires. Be ready to smother it with the air cleaner cover if it does.

I wonder if you haven't jumped timing. How many miles on the motor?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

well I finally got the time to do some checking on the car. ive got spark through from the coil and through to the plugs, however its an orange/yellow spark and the plug wire had to be very close to the block to get that. it should at least sputter a little even with that spark though.
any one know a good way to check the fuel pumps and stuff other then seeing if they are spraying when the car is turned over?
im just out on my way to go get a couple gallons of fresh fuel, gonna make a gravity fed fuel line just for kicks and i need somthing to do
Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

That's good that you have spark. You said you also have fuel and can see it spray. No need to further check pump.....you have fuel. The only thing I can think of currently is that somehow, you flooded it. Try holding the gas pedal on the floor and cranking it. It may take up to 30 seconds but, see if that makes it fire.

Pumping it 4 times is WAY too much. It should only take 1/2 to 1 pump.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:59 AM
interwest
1st Gear Member

My car died on the freeway a few weeks ago. Same symptoms, died right around 50mph, motor would crank but not start. Thought it was the MSD box, bought it used off of craigslist and had to fix already (someone decided to cut the two wires underneath the black cap, so must have been on a 4 banger.. anyway..)
Checked fuel, air,spark, etc.Played around with it and finally we found out that it was the distributor gear. It had gotten eaten up. Have you pulled your distributor out yet? I replaced mine with the comp cams composite and it has been fine.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:59 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

no i havnt pulled it, but the thought that the dizzy might be at fault crossed my mind. only reason i havnt is that I can see the rotor spin without the cap on.
as for flooding, holding the pedal was one of the first things i tried (was REALLY hoping that was all) when i got it to fire after the first die, i was still rolling, and i was pumping quite a bit. this whole thing really has me stumpped... so many possibilities. i talked to one "expereinced car guy" tonight at a friends party, hes into porches and such, and he thinks the problem is all in the carb and its just running rich... im skeptical there.

Quick Reply: help! car died on me going down the freeway