Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Mustang 6cyl tran not shifting - Is this a Fordomatic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:46 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Question 65 Mustang 6cyl tran not shifting - Is this a Fordomatic?

Hi Everyone,

My 65 coupe has a 6cyl engine with a 2-speed auto transmission. Thats stranges since it was not offered for the Mustang either. I looked up Ford's auto transmissions and the only 2-speed is the Fordomatic from 1959-1964. So I assume thats what it is?

Anyways, the car has run fine and shifted fine until this morning. Got up to go to a car show and it would not shift out of 1st at all. Called my buddy and he said either the modulator valve is bad or the vacum hose for it came loose or went bad. Would that be the case?

Also, when I go to buy the modulator valve for it, what car do i tell them so it is in their computer for the right one?

Thanks ahead for the help!

Warren
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Wy do you think it's a 2-speed? They were never offered in Mustangs.

All auto trans Mustangs were factory-equipped with 3-speed automatics. Unless your car has been victim of an extremely weird conversion, you already have a 3-speed. Why do you think it's a 2-speed?

(I ask this with a good idea of the answer.)

Last edited by 2+2GT; 08-01-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:54 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the question. I have actually had a 2 speed powerglide in a chevy nova before so I know how they run. This one does the same letting me run it to 45 if I wanted before shifting into 2nd. I'm sure the guy before me did this when he changed bodies.

And yeah, I know they didn't come in Mustangs at all. So thats what threw me off right when I got the car a few months ago.

Warren
Old 08-01-2009, 03:09 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation

I looked under the hood and I have a metal tubing connected to the intake manifold and runs down to the transmission on the top of it. I didn't look to see where it goes to but I'm hoping I can even access the modulator valve. Is it normally mounded on the side of the transmission or top?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WarrenW
Thanks for the question. I have actually had a 2 speed powerglide in a chevy nova before so I know how they run. This one does the same letting me run it to 45 if I wanted before shifting into 2nd. I'm sure the guy before me did this when he changed bodies.

And yeah, I know they didn't come in Mustangs at all. So thats what threw me off right when I got the car a few months ago.

Warren
OK, you're going by 'feel'. First, the modulator is at the right rear corner of the trans.

Second, your car should have the shifter bezel I illustrated above. The shift pattern is

P
R
N

O
L

I'll bet you're driving it on the • which is a unique setting meant for driving in mud, snow and rain and locks out 1st gear, forcing the trans to operate in 2-3 only, to prevent wheelspin. The larger O with the green dot in the middle is normal drive.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 AM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

You are right as far as the shift pattern. And yes, I have been driving on the • instead of the O. Darn, I'm gonna kick myself in the butt if this is a 3-speed and never knew it! I imagine the modulator valve can still be bad or the hose going to it then since it didn't **** gears. Wouldn't you think? Now I can't wait until the morning to check it out!

Thanks for your help and I'll post an update tomorrow.

Warren
Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 AM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

I just took the car out around the block and yes, I have 1st gear at the O position and the one next to N is starting in 2nd gear. So I do have a 3-speed transmission! Yeah!

Now, I still have the problem of it not shifting at all. Would the modulator valve be the first thing you changed out to see if it fixes it?

Thanks for your help! Looks like I needed a user's manual to read!!! haha

Warren