Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

C4 Transmission Oil Pump Assembly Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
nabontra

Default C4 Transmission Oil Pump Assembly Removal

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to rebuild a C4 transmission for my 66 coupe that has been giving me some troubles, and lots of leaks. I was able to disassemble pretty much everything with the aid of a manual and some common sense, but I cannot for the life of me get the front oil pump assembly out. I've tried just about everything aside from hammering on a screwdriver around the edges, which I really felt like doing after messing with it for an hour.

I searched the forums and came across this post:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...d-answers.html

Which several people said it will either slide right out, or be a total pain. Someone mentioned using a slide hammer, but how would I attach it to the pump assembly?

Thanks guys. Let me know if anyone wants a picture of mine, otherwise it looks almost exactly like the one on the post I linked.

-nick
Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM
nabontra

Update: I was able to get the pump assembly out by holding it upright and tapping around the edges generously with a hammer, it looks like whoever rebuilt it previously used some kind of wood glue(?!?).

So hopefully the rest will be smooth sailing.

-nick
Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
jmaxey

Sorry I am posting this so late. Maybe someone else can use the info. I had a similar problem but discovered that three of the pump bolt holes go clear through the transmission case. You can tap the the pump flange with a 7/16 bottom tap and then put bolts in the flange. Then insert 3/8 set screws from the outside of the transmission and use them to push on the pump flange. It popped right out for me.