Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

trim aftermarket vs rechrome

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default trim aftermarket vs rechrome

A day or so ago there was a thread floating around regarding trim, and how aftermarket stuff is usually not as good, polish or fit, as the original. Last night I happened to be pulling off my trim to replace the quarter this weekend. It's in fair shape, but obviously needs restored; dings, dents, cleaning, tac up some broken edges, etc. My question, what does it cost to repair and re-chrome trim? Has anyone tried "black chrome"? How do you tell if it's actually original? does it have an ID stamp, C5XX or C6XX?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Most of the stuff around the windows can be fixed to look 100% new if its taken to a polisher. Expect for the small stuff 40-50 a piece. Re-Pop bumpers are horrible BTW. I went down that patch and need to get my NEW re-pops chromed again.

Understand most after market re-pops are made in mass quantities in a third world country and attention to detail is completely left out.

If its going to be a show car, do it right. If its a driver and your looking to save about a grand (depending on what year mustang) go with the re-pops, but expect small dents in installation due to poor quality metal.

Oh yeh, dont even think about getting after market vent and quarter windows, do your self a huge favor and get those done right no matter what!!! I spent big money on the after market ones and they were absolutely horrible and were not even close to the right size of the originals. What a head ache. I ended up returning all of them and salvaging my pitted originals. They ended up costing me $300pr to look like new.

Word of Wisdom

"Just because the box says SHOW QUALITY CHROME, doesn't mean its show quality"
Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Good post. Especially with causing dents while installing because they are thinner.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:47 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

From what i seen in aftermarket sheet metal i cleaned up and reused all my trim.If i was you rechrome what you have it may cost more but you'll be a lot happier in the end.And before you send anything to the chromer make a list and take pictures in case anything gets lost some where.