Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Switching from a holley to edelbrock carb.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

We tried an Edelbrock on my dad's car and had issues with parking it on an incline. The Jets are on the bottom of the carb towards the front if I remember correctly and if your on an incline the fuel flows to the back and uncovers the jets. After a few times not starting because of this the Edelbrock came off and a new Holley went in it's place ...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

They do have issues with bowl design and jet placement, but they're still slick little carbs. Much easier to tune than a Holley design and generally more reliable. My 600's been good to me, for the most part. Once I got it tuned, the only problem it's given me is wanting to stall during hard cornering and stopping in neutral.

That said, a Demon is in my future
Old 08-25-2009, 02:50 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

that's a great price for that car, you'll be happy with it. make sure to pickup that tuning kit for it as well (basically a collection of springs, metering rods and a couple of jets

dreaming demon as well... (or quickfuel. undecided)
Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Much easier to tune than a Holley design and generally more reliable.
That said, a Demon is in my future
I still don't know why people always say this.Simply isn't true. Just by design the Holley is easier to tune, and more reliable.

Be careful with that Demon though. They like to run LEAN !
Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It probably is easier to tune for part throttle tip-in response with metering rods than with Holley's either-open-or-closed PV arrangement. You certainly can tune more finely (how much fuel how soon, how rapidly it gets richer) if you're willing to reshape the rods a bit. GM's Q-Jet enrichment is similar in this respect.

Norm
Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ignore my post ...

Last edited by kalli; 08-25-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

CPR, Edelbrocks are easier to tune. Change rods, change jets, change springs, change accelerator pump cam lever position. I can do all four in 20min or so, or just jets and springs in 2min. Plus, they have no gaskets that can leak. The only carb I've seen that's any more simple is an Autolite.

Holleys are more tuneable, but not easier to tune, especially the nicer models. Sooooo much more to mess with. That's what they're designed for; precise tuning for best performance, not ease of use and driveability.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Changing rods and springs are easy, but actually getting them right is much harder than a holley. You have to hope you have the right rod, and if you do, is the thicker part going to be OK while cruising ? If it's not, find another, then change a jet to try to compensate for a rod combination they don't make.

Then it comes time to do pump shot, sure, easy to change. Can't probably change it twice before you finish with a holley. But it's not easier because of time, but easier because you can get it in tune. there are some engines you CANNOT get a edel carb to tune in a motor. Biggest problem is the pump cam circuit. If you put it on the biggest hole, and it doesn't work, your SOL. That's all the volume you get. You can put on a different squirter, but that doesn't change the volume. Edelbrocks can't change the timing of the fuel entering either. It's on or off. Simple, does not make it a better carb. I'm not saying easier time wise. But easier because it's possible to get it in tune. The older carbs you couldn't tune the secondaries at all. So if you floored it and it bogged, there was NOTHING you can do to slow the secondaries from opening causing the lean spot. And there's no acc pump, you just stuck.
Never seen a holley just leak at the bowl unless the gasket was torn the last time int was removed. Good advertising tactics by Vic though. Thing is they will both seep over time. The edelbrocks seem to be worse though because the top is so spread out, and warps over time making it worse. The pump shot seal starts to shrivel over time and doesn't seal as well when you hit the pedal, so the volume drops, and throws of the tune.

I had a TW headed 289 we dynoed and it had way too much fuel. Cruise was fine, so was idle and everything else. Had to actually block the PVCR's to straighten that out. We couldn't have fixed that with an E carb. You can't change the E carb fuel curve if it richens or leans out.

I bought my carb, and Edelbrock because I was afraid of the holley's. Got to know them, and what each circuit does, they are easier. Not picking on your Starfury. I just hate seeing people getting scared away from a better carb because they are afraid of one that is more tunable. They are both tuned in the exact same steps, but if you make a change in one part of the front of an E carb, it changes something else down the line.Start over.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Edelbrocks suffer from the pathetic accelerator circuit, like CPR mentioned. Most engines won't tune correctly with an Edelbrock for throttle response, and yeah, if the fuel curve is out, sucks to be you. They're affordable, and reliable, and easy to work on, but a properly set up modern Holley type carb will tune better, make more power, have better throttle response and get better mileage. I like my Quick Fuel because EVERY circuit is completely adjustable.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
I still don't know why people always say this.Simply isn't true. Just by design the Holley is easier to tune, and more reliable.
I have never seen "Holley" and "reliable" in the same sentence before! Thanks for my first laugh of the day !

Quick Reply: Switching from a holley to edelbrock carb.