Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I am picking up a 8.8 exploder rear end

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 AM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Are you shortening the axle tube by yourself or are you having it done at a pro-shop. I would think that it would need to be perfectly straight.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

So the 2wd Explorer axle is how much wider than a classic 64-? mustang?
I know the 71-73 are wider than my 70. But is the 69-70 wider than the 64.5-68?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Explorer rear end is 2" wider than 64-66 (just right for 99-04 Mustang wheels), same as 67-70.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:29 PM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

Sweet so get the leaf spring perches, cut off all the exploder brackets, set the pinion angle, and weld it up? While you are there weld the tubes solid to the diff case too?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by toybreaker
Sweet so get the leaf spring perches, cut off all the exploder brackets, set the pinion angle, and weld it up? While you are there weld the tubes solid to the diff case too?
you've got it, except there are a couple of caveats.

the explorer pinion is offset towards the passenger side by about 2.5". you'll need to check for clearance. i have also also seen some reports of the late-model style pinion flange hitting the trans tunnel.

it's really a shame that it's offset 2.5". it's a perfect axle otherwise for the 67-70s. very heavy duty and has the same axle flanges as the 9" (unlike the fox body 8.8 flanges). the fox body mustang 8.8 is really, really close to the 67-70 width and is an easier install since the pinion is centered.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Toybreaker, from what i have heard the 2wd does not come with 3.55 or 3.73 and also the 2wd expolder does not come with the trac-loc!

Jcoby
you are right but, the new style flange only hits if you install the exploder rear end into a 67-68 without doing any mods. you can actually install it even with the offset and take a little hammer to the tunnel and voila! you have it installed.

I chose to install one into my 8.8 and do the trimming. Here are the steps i went through:

-purchased the 8.8 with 3.73 and a trac-loc with disc brakes out of 2000 v8, 4wd for $200. ( i also bought an additional passenger side axle)

-cleaned it up and cut off the perches, and the swaybar mounts.

-I removed the axles from the rear end and measured the differences between the two. (2-3/8"s)

-I marked a straight line down the axle tub side that i am cutting with a piece of angle so i could line it up after removing the 2-3/8" section.

-supported the axle and lined up the tube to my saw. after checking about 6 times to make sure everything was square i cut away and removed the section.

-I happened to find I piece of thick walled tubing that was 2-3/4"s. which happens to be exactly the same size as the I.D. of the axle tubes. (there happens to be a interior weld going down the inside of the axle tubes that need to be smoothed.

-I cut a 8" sleeve and then drilled 1/2" holes through the axle tubes so i could plug weld the sleeve as well as butt weld the tubes.

-I lines up the marks that I made with the angle when i slid the tubes together with the sleeve and made sure it was straight.

-I then welded the tubes together (I also used a grinder to bevel the ends prior to welding so i have good penetration) and welded the holes for the plug welds.

-I then cleaned, and reassembled the rear end without the brakes.

-I have a 3-1/4" hole saw. So, I picked up a 12in piece of 2x6 box tubing and drilled a hole in the center and then followed by cutting it in half. These will be my perches. 3-1/4in perches are impossible to find. I used 2x6 so theye will be 1" taller. This will also lower my car an additional 1". They are my perches and lowering blocks all in one.

-currently, the 8" that was in there is sitting on the concrete. The 8.8 is sitting on top of the springs(on the perches) waiting to be lined up and tacked. IF IT WOULD STOP FIN RAINING I WOULD GET IT FINISHED AND TAKE A HOT LAP!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

Nice thing about the pick a part yards here is I can tear out the guts from a 4wd and stuff it into a 2wd axle. Same price.
Plenty of 2wd and 4wd 5.0 exploders in my yard of choice right now
Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

so just a quick update.

i have the pinion andgle set, the rear end sitting on the perches and tacked into place. I plan on removing it tomorrow and welding it up tight, then installing it for the last time.

I will also see if i need to do any work to the driveline.

I will post pics when i have completed it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly

-I removed the axles from the rear end and measured the differences between the two. (2-3/8"s)

-I marked a straight line down the axle tub side that i am cutting with a piece of angle so i could line it up after removing the 2-3/8" section.

-I happened to find I piece of thick walled tubing that was 2-3/4"s. which happens to be exactly the same size as the I.D. of the axle tubes. (there happens to be a interior weld going down the inside of the axle tubes that need to be smoothed.

-I cut a 8" sleeve and then drilled 1/2" holes through the axle tubes so i could plug weld the sleeve as well as butt weld the tubes.

-I lines up the marks that I made with the angle when i slid the tubes together with the sleeve and made sure it was straight.

-I then welded the tubes together (I also used a grinder to bevel the ends prior to welding so i have good penetration) and welded the holes for the plug welds.
BUMP..

So let me get this right..

You cut a section out of the long side (Drivers side) , shortened it by 2.5" then sleeved it back together with the end that you cut off.

Then used another passenger side axle.

Does that flange hit anything and what yoke did you use, the explorers?

So now your rear end is stock width?

What driveshaft did you end up using?

I ask because if a guy does this while doing a t-5 swap could he just go ahead and use a FOX driveshaft, and if so would I need to shorten it?

Last edited by Coupe; 09-12-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

I think the fox driveshaft is too short.

Quick Reply: I am picking up a 8.8 exploder rear end