Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Will a 90amp welder work for body repairs?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I bet you have a 220 V plug.... your dryer (elec stove also).

Easy enough to rig up an extension cord with the right ends...
Nope, they are older houses in L.A. Calif. Ours as almost all run with Natural Gas for the Clothes driers and ovens/stoves. Almost everyone runs this setup, only the newer houses that are custom built in our area would have electric. I would not envy them their electric bills!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:47 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
You haven't been looking hard enough. You can get a nice 140 amp Mig welder that runs on 110v with multy amp settings all day long at Lowe's and Home depot for around $550.

You can also run the electric wire from your breaker box to were you want it, attach it to 220 socket and just have the electrician tap into the box and it would only cost you the $$$ for the parts and his time to hook in the fuse box.

Lynn
That's what I was planning to do.. run everything right up to the box and pay him to do the connection. That way I get it where I want it! I did that when I built my wood shop out back, just had him connect the lines and a couple 20 amp fuses. Still cost me $150!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
I wouldn't mess with MIG unless you have a shop. You'll have to rent gas bottles and if you weld outside with a breeze you risk your shielding gas blowing away, then you'll get contaminated welds. And like I said flux core will get about 2x the penetration for the same voltage power source.
How thick is most sheet metal for our cars? is it 24 guage or more?

I do most of my work in an enclosed (walled) car canopy, mostly to protect from 100+ degree sun!), so unless it is really windy, I don't think that would be much of a problem.
I am looking at a flux core/Mig unit in case my son decides to work on the projects he is planning<grin> The unit I am looking at right now is the Hobart Handler 140.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...ed/handler140/

It is a Flux Core, Solid wire/Gas system running at 110 volts. It looks like the power and wire feed are completely controllable and allows .023 - 035 wire. the current rating is 25-140 amps. I would think this would be ideal for body work (and my sons massive ideas as well!)
Or even the Maxus Pro 140 mig/flux 25-140 adjustable amp welder. This one is a lot cheaper.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...me=Arc+Welders

Any down sides to this setups?

Last edited by MetalEd; 09-09-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind that with MIG welding on a 110v unit you can barely weld .125" steel. But, that's where a dual flux/MIG is nice, weld the smaller stuff more easily with the MIG(if you have an enclosure) and if you ever do bigger structural stuff then use the flux core wire. Flux core CAN weld smaller stuff but it's not easy, and flux core isn't as forgiving of machine settings that MIG is. MIG is a lot cleaner as well, flux core has spatter just like a stick welder does, just not quite as bad.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Jaded
2nd Gear Member

There's lots of good advice in the previous posts: I weld with a Millermatic 140 that runs on 110v house current.

While I agree if you are going to purchase a welder and you weld a lot, go for a 220v welder, but here's my logic in picking the welder I have.

First, I can pick up and go anywhere and find 110v.

Second, my hobby has always been cars, and my repairs have never involved anything over 1\4 inch sheet metal.

Third, if I am welding something vital, I'd use TIG, I have plenty of friends who have TIG welders, and enough here in the area if they are busy.

I spent about $1100 to weld at home. That involves the welder, cart, helmet, gloves, wire, and gas bottle.

Savings so far $400 for the first repair,$250 for a repair on my car hauler and another $100 for a repair on a boat trailer.

That means so far the welder has paid for itself, the rest is the gear.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:46 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Keep in mind that with MIG welding on a 110v unit you can barely weld .125" steel.
Then why do most people on here say you can do everything you will ever need to do on a Mustang with a 140 amp 110V unit??

Every thread talking about welding that I've read on here said the same until what you just posted.

Lynn
Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MetalEd
That's what I was planning to do.. run everything right up to the box and pay him to do the connection. That way I get it where I want it! I did that when I built my wood shop out back, just had him connect the lines and a couple 20 amp fuses. Still cost me $150!
Doh!!
I guess we must be lucky around here. I have a friend at work that would connect that for free or if I called my electrician he "may" charge me only $20 if he would even charge me that much because it would take 5-10 minutes tops to do. Hell it is simple enough to do it myself and I have seen my friend put in breakers for me a few times, but I hate electricity.

Lynn
Old 09-09-2009, 05:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
Then why do most people on here say you can do everything you will ever need to do on a Mustang with a 140 amp 110V unit??

Every thread talking about welding that I've read on here said the same until what you just posted.

Lynn
Because it depends on what "need" means. For most people a MIG welder would probably be fine with 110v, it's easier to weld with than flux and cleaner, and most people never weld much over .100 thickness anyway(if even that large). But, if you try to weld something like a cage for instance, using .110 or larger steel, then you may have a hard time, especially if you have to run the machine off an extension cord, then you might not be able to get enough power to penetrate well. It really comes down to what you want to do with it. But I know a lot of people that got 110 MIG machines and found that they could never use it for much beyond minor sheet metal stuff, it's just not enough power to MIG weld structurally(depending on the size of what you weld). That's the advantage of the dual MIG/Flux machines, what you can't get with MIG you can get with flux cored.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:38 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Yep, the Milermatic 180 IS only 220 V...

I guess I mixed it up with my plasma cutter... Damnit...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I oh-so wish plasma cutters were cheaper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will a 90amp welder work for body repairs?