MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   What has to be done with a '88 5.0L??? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/561380-what-has-to-be-done-with-a-88-5-0l.html)

scootchu 09-08-2009 09:28 PM

What has to be done with a '88 5.0L???

I am going to take a look at a '88 5.0L HO roller engine tomorrow. I want to rebuild this over the winter. I have done some searches in the forum and got some info, but most of it was what it takes to keep the engine an EFI.

I want to retain a carbed 302 in my 66. So I know I will have to move and replace the oil pump, move the dipstick, but what kind of problems will I have if I want to use my existing 4 spd?

Does the water pump have it's inlet on the driver's side rather than the passenger side?

Also is $250 reasonable for a good running 88 H.O. with unknown mileage complete?

Starfury 09-08-2009 10:12 PM

If you're looking for a good roller base for a build, then I'd say yes. You might try to get him to take $200, though.

The only problem you'll run into is with the clutch z-bar mounting. The '88 motor has no boss for the z-bar, so you'll need to either pick up an aftermarket bracket (readily available) or swap to a cable/hydraulic clutch setup.

The motor will accept any 289/302 intake, so carburetion isn't an issue.

For the front accessories, pull the timing cover off your current 302. I'd recommend buying a new water pump unless yours is relatively new. Weiand makes a good high-flow aluminum unit that won't break the bank. You can also reuse your current oil pan and oil pump pickup, but I'd recommend buying a new oil pump (and hardened drive shaft) for the build.

The stock heads are better than pre-87 heads, but they're still not fantastic. They get better with porting and bigger valves, but I don't think it's worth it to put that much money into the factory heads. GT40's will work ok, but aftermarket heads are still going to be a better choice if you can afford it.

pnandy 09-08-2009 10:46 PM

ive seen these motors go for 100 and less especially if u dont want the efi setup sounds like all you really want is h.o 5.0l block

scootchu 09-09-2009 12:47 AM

Thanks guys. That answered the questions I was looking to have answered.
I really just want a good sound shortblock, so perhaps I can get what I want in this one. I'll keep you posted.

rmodel65 09-09-2009 01:52 AM

youll need to either run a 1985 duraspark 5.0ho setup/aftermarket or get an efi gear put on your old dizzy etc

kuikcat 09-10-2009 01:54 AM

you will need your old dizzy. evrything else you can use exsept for efi and im not sure about oil pan. my friend even left the serpintine belt.

jcoby 09-10-2009 09:30 AM

fox body oil pan won't work, it will hit the steering and cross member. you will need to reuse the timing cover, dipstick, and oil pan from your 289 and the oil pickup and put a bung into the block. the oil pump is compatible but i'd replace it anyways as insurance.

replace the water pump as someone else mentioned. it's cheap insurance.

your 289 uses a different imbalance than the 302, so you'll need to deal with that.

look for a rebuilt tag. if it has one, walk away or offer $50 if the compression doesn't check out. it's not worth buying a block that's already .030 over. might be worth it for $50 if you get some decent internals to build another engine with. all post-86 302 blocks are roller capable but only the HO engines came with roller from the factory.

also, make sure it has E7TE heads or better. i got one with E6TE and they're worthless.

if you use the E7 heads, grab a carbide bit and get rid of the hump in the exhaust port.

rmodel65 09-10-2009 12:05 PM

e7's are worthless

my77stang 09-10-2009 01:13 PM

i love you rmodel :icon_wink:

2+2GT 09-10-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by scootchu (Post 6481132)
Does the water pump have it's inlet on the driver's side rather than the passenger side?

If you get the "5.0 conversion" harmonic balancer, you can use the timing cover, water pump, pulleys, brackets, hoses, and accessories of the 66 engine. Then only you will know it's a 5.0 HO engine, unless you tell them. :icon_wink: