Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Anyone have improved upper arm shaft pics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone have improved upper arm shaft pics?

Does anyone have decent pictures of the improved style upper arm shaft? It looks like they've turned down the shank of the shaft to accept an O-ring. I can't tell from the pictures I can find what else they modified.

My shafts are in decent shape but the boots are shot. I'm trying to put my lathe to use and save $150.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcoby
Does anyone have decent pictures of the improved style upper arm shaft? It looks like they've turned down the shank of the shaft to accept an O-ring. I can't tell from the pictures I can find what else they modified.

My shafts are in decent shape but the boots are shot. I'm trying to put my lathe to use and save $150.
Turning down the shaft sounds like a good way to weaken it. The cap should have o-rings to provide the seal.

$150? $50 should get you a new pair of shafts, with caps and seals.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i have bought a set at NPD that are not i the car yet. are at buddies garage.
If I make it over this week I'll take a few pics
Old 09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Turning down the shaft sounds like a good way to weaken it. The cap should have o-rings to provide the seal.

$150? $50 should get you a new pair of shafts, with caps and seals.
well the stock ones taper slightly from the thread to the bolt boss. that won't work for an o-ring; there just isn't enough space.

using a rounded tip will eliminate any problems with stress risers. the weakest point is the troughs of the threads (minor diameter) and I won't be going anywhere near that small. it'll only be even with the thread major diameter. we're talking about removing like 0.040 here.

the improved style are about $75 each. yeah, you can get stock style for $50 each. it doesn't cost me anything to try. worst case is that i have to buy new shafts.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:58 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
i have bought a set at NPD that are not i the car yet. are at buddies garage.
If I make it over this week I'll take a few pics
thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

well the stock ones taper slightly from the thread to the bolt boss. that won't work for an o-ring; there just isn't enough space.

using a rounded tip will eliminate any problems with stress risers. the weakest point is the troughs of the threads (minor diameter) and I won't be going anywhere near that small. it'll only be even with the thread major diameter. we're talking about removing like 0.040 here.

the improved style are about $75 each. yeah, you can get stock style for $50 each. it doesn't cost me anything to try. worst case is that i have to buy new shafts.
Seriously, the stock type is $25 each. Why don't you make your .040 cut inside the cap?

That's a pretty small o-ring, though the stock seal is more like a 3/16 thick o-ring.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

There is a picture of it on NPD classic mustang catalog, page 73.
Basically there is a rubber seal that seals the shaft to the outside of the end cap. I can't see how those 2 extra seals justifies an extra $30.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Seriously, the stock type is $25 each. Why don't you make your .040 cut inside the cap?

That's a pretty small o-ring, though the stock seal is more like a 3/16 thick o-ring.

my stock caps don't look anything like that. they have a large boot that goes on the outside of the cap and then steps down to the pivot. maybe they're not stock? i'm just trying to find a way to keep the grease in.

also, where can I get a complete shaft for $25 each? they're $50+ everywhere I've looked.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

my stock caps don't look anything like that. they have a large boot that goes on the outside of the cap and then steps down to the pivot. maybe they're not stock? i'm just trying to find a way to keep the grease in.

also, where can I get a complete shaft for $25 each? they're $50+ everywhere I've looked.
Oops, my mistake. They're $23.50 each. The price just went down.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 09-21-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OCHOHILL
There is a picture of it on NPD classic mustang catalog, page 73.
Basically there is a rubber seal that seals the shaft to the outside of the end cap. I can't see how those 2 extra seals justifies an extra $30.
i must have the improved design then. though they look as old as the car, this thing had a "restoration" done about 15 years ago. they may have swapped out the shafts then. 2 of the 4 are crushed 1 is split, and 1 is in serviceable condition. there isn't really any provision for a stock-style O-ring that I can find.

also, you guys know I have a '67 right? '66 are cheap, '67 are not.

Quick Reply: Anyone have improved upper arm shaft pics?