Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Exhaust cutouts are here.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust cutouts are here.

Well I bought these on ebay before I knew I was going to have transmission problems. But was just wondering who has them on there mustang and how much it was to get them installed. I was thinking about taking it to AAA muffler.
I was planning on having them installed after the car goes for inspection. If the trans is fixed by then.
Would have liked the electric ones but for like 300 dollars that wasn't going to happen. I got both of the manual cutouts on ebay for $56.50 shipped.

But what are your opinions on them and if you have videos of them on your car feel free to share. Mainly looking for a ballpark estimate on installation for them.

Personally I love them because you can be obnoxiously loud but only when you want to be.

Last edited by blue 67 coupe; 09-21-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Gun Jam

I mulled the idea over... I think ill save up for the 300 dollar ones....let me know how they work!

-Gun
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
...I think ill save up for the 300 dollar ones...

-Gun
+1

Have fun when the cables start to rust, and freeze up, because I know you're not going to use the everyday. Anyway, you're going to have a blast scaring the living **** out of the import boy-racers! LOL
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Oh the rust hadn't even crossed my mind. But the cable is inside a tight metal sleeve that looks like a spring almost and the cable that moves it inside so maybe the outside could rust and it still work. If not maybe I could go to autozone and buy some rubber hose and run the cable throught the hose or something. And ya I figured peoples reactions will be the best part and the first place i'm testing it is inside the underpass of the bridge where it will echo the most.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Blue I have to tell you that these leak somewhat quickly. Also the flapper will rust out quick too, you know how condensation in the exhaust system builds up. Supposedly they were made later on with a stainless arm and flapper and if so that would be allot better. The cables do rust as stated but you can find stainless replacments at any marine supply, West Marine has a really nice one with a chrome ****.

I personally like Race Readies but you cant just open and close them from within the car.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:46 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I worked for Midas for 6 year back in the 80's. During that time I removed quite a few of these. The metal flop inside tends to rattle and it is obnoxious. I hope you are happy with them but I have a feeling that they are not going to perform as you expect. I would expect you can find a local muffler shop to do them for around $150 depending on how fancy you want to get. They will not accept responsibilty for them though since they are illegal.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 AM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Well i'm probably going to wait a while to install them if I do. But I haven't read or heard anywhere that they are illegal could you maybe specify what it is that makes them illegal. I wouldn't have got them but I was told I can run straight headers legally since its a 67 and doesn't have to pass emissions other than noise violations. So I wanted them since it could be like straight headers but only when I wanted it to be.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Just a track thing. They are not supposed to be installed on everyday road vehicles but I'd wager to say if you told them it was a street/strip car it'd be OK. I'm not aware of any actual written regulations concerning them except I do know you'd better not get caught with them open on the road. We build and title hot-rods and 4X4's here with cutouts all the time and never have a problem titling them or any problems with LE as long as you run your mufflers on the road. Here's a roadster a buddy of mine owned that I helped build. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/IMG_1016.jpg
Got rearended and shoved off a levee and totaled it. Check the side pipes out, now look under them. Thats the pipes running to the street exhaust system when the collector flange is blocked off.

You can use the ones you have but I would weld in a short pipe then weld a collector flange and keep a gasket and plate on it. That will keep it sealed like a race ready. Also if you can get in there I'd pull the plate out and use iut as a template to make a new one. Go buy a sheet of stainless the same thickness and using a handsaw or something cut a replacment out. That will keep it from rusting out around the edges.

Also...dont pay someone to put it in. Find a buddy with a welder you can borrow (or go buy a cheap 115V cracker box from Walmart or Harbor freight, you own a mustang you will eventually need one and need to learn how to use it anyway) and splice and zap these in yourself. Anything over $100 bucks to install is too much and you would have bought the above welder for that much and at least have a tool to show for your expenditure.

Last edited by EZFEED; 09-22-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Its already been said, but those cutouts are prone to leaking and are problematic. I have seen first hand. I personally wouldn't use them.

If you can't send them back, then put them on ebay or craigslist.

I plan on adding some to my car later on and will get the electric ones.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-22-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

I had those on mine years ago for about 2 weeks.
They rattle and leak no matter what you do.
Had fun playing with them just too poorly made rough cast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust cutouts are here.