Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351C general questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:03 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

just received the pics from him ... amazing ....

here's 2 more of the cleanup job ahead ...
http://picasaweb.google.com/schlauch/Pepe#

any plans? block that stupid thing off or will that just cause other problems (postive pressure somewhere else) ?

Last edited by kalli; 09-25-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Ah, mystery solved. That's the wrong gasket. The 70 used a unique gasket. Glazier Nolan can provide them.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:03 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Tahnks for info! that would make sense :-) i'll be gone for the next 2 days, but will check on it when back.
I'd still love to close this thing just for the simple reason his carb is getting more than hot enough.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Blocking it with some screw in plugs after tapping the holes would allow you to use any gasket, otherwise its going to need some metal over that part to keep from burning stuff up. The 70 gasket should have a gasket with metal on at least one side for that application.

That could be very useful for picking up mileage with ethanol, but keeping it from boiling out of the carb at 174F would be the trick. There is more to it, and I wont get into it here, need to check my manifolds and see if any have that port in them. Never paid attention to it before.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:50 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yeah kalli you can block off those holes they just lead down to an exhaust port on each side of the motor. hell, doing it on the bottom of the intake would be even better cause it would keep some of those higher temps farther away from the carb. (in theory)
Old 09-28-2009, 03:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yah. i said to him I'll discuss with you if we can block it off, but before I even got back to him with that (i was gonbe for the weekend) he phoned and said that he took too little pipes, drilled/tap screw blocked and pressed them in. job done. he's a machinist, so I think he couldn't hold himself back :-)
I prefer to have the manifold/carb as cold as possible anyway
anyway I'm glad we finally found the problem. He's nearly finished cleaning up, we got him a new powervalve. so I think he should be good to go for another start.

Kalli
Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

WOOHOOOOOO !!

up and running again. perfect smooth idle, strong and switches off without dieseling
once it was all cleaned up, the intake blocked, new gaskets she started straight after the fuel bowls filled up. the engine was idling near 3000 since that was wherew the butterfly for idle was set to have it half way running in "idle" would you believe ... anyway with 8 degrees advance she'd hesitate starting, so i brought her back to 4. it's better but you can really hear the stressed started. the selonoid is near mush, so we'll replace that tomorrow. if that doesn't help I'll retard a bit further..

should see the smile on that mans face (and mine). she was never so good.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Here's the gasket you should have had, instead of that cardboard thing. It's actually two gasket surfaces bonded to a stainless steel core. Not even expensive, available from Glazier Nolan (I swiped this photo from them):

Old 10-03-2009, 05:50 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya i saw it on the website you posted the mustangbarn. didn't find the picture, but it was 13$ or something. He was just eager, blocked it now off and he's so happy I think he's still driving around somewhere... he can now use this gasket.
But this just shows what effects you get when you have the wrong replacement parts.
he said he changed it already before when he swapped carb. he's not a mechanic, just saw it was burned but didn't realise what problems this can cause (exhaust pushing into intake) ... he's wiser now.
it's very familiar though. another friend replaced the same wire three times because it was burned until I told him it's shorting out every time he's starting the car (connected to starter terminal of selonoid straight to ground. some muppet that owned the car before must have forgotten where it goes and thought that was the right spot as everything seemed to work ... this teaches to think why parts break instead of just replacing them
Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Kalli has entered the sphere of enlightenment... Why did it fail? That is the difference between a parts replacer and a technician. Well that and a bunch of experience, training, and skill.

Its also something we would not have figured out online, gotta be there to see it in person.

Quick Reply: 351C general questions