Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pe-bent brake lines don't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Desert Stang

Default NPD = Poor customer service

Well, join the club. I ordered all brake lines from NPD 2 weeks ago. When the package arrived, the rear to front brake line was not in the box. However, the parts list showed it was scanned prior to boxing. I attempted to install the rear lines and like stated above, the lines weren't even close. Fortunately, there were too long and I was able to bend them to make them fit. However, the installation doesn't look greate and there is extra line behind the axle.

Now the good part. I called NPD and politely told them the rear to front line was not in the box and I would like a refund for that part. After the poor fit on the rear set, I didn't want to pay for a pre-bent line and then have to bend them myself. They stated that the parts list shows that they were included. I responded, that is correct, but that brake line is not in the box. The NPD tape was not broken either so it didn't fall out during transportation. They said they would check into it.

Two days later the manager calls and tells me they cannot give me a refund since the parts list shows the line was in the box. Again I agreed the parts list did show that line, but it was not in the box. I've worked in factories and workers usually know how to override the computer when they want. I told the manager I had spent almost $3000 over the past 3 years at NPD, never asked for a refund up until now, but that I would take my business elsewhere in the future if the refund was not granted. The cost of the line is $26, but they wouldn't budge. It doesn't seem like NPD has good customer service to me.

Bottom line (pun intended), NPD's brake lines don't seem to fit my Mustang, the customer service stinks, and I'm shopping at other distributors in the future.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:41 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

I got it all together today. But it would not have gone in if I had not loosened all the bolts mounting the hardware (distribution block, hoses and Master Cylinder). The lines are all short in the set I received.(or the car stretched )
The master cylinder line was the worst. If I tried Stretching the line to force the connectors together, the flair nut would have been at a 15-20 degree angle to the port. It never would have threaded correctly. So, I hooked up all the connections first and then tightened down the MC's & Distribution block bolts to the firewall/wall. Smooth fit!
I wish I had come across this solution a couple days earlier.

I do need to straighten and bend the ends of two lines where they exit the wheel wells to prevent rubbing or crimping on the sharp edges of the sheet metal. There is a lot of tension pushing them against the sharp edges. The bends came too soon (short). I'll also need to find someone to order some new rubber grommets to protect the lines against vibration (I know, not the solution for the rubbing problem). My old ones crumbled during the install.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Desert Stang
Two days later the manager calls and tells me they cannot give me a refund since the parts list shows the line was in the box. Again I agreed the parts list did show that line, but it was not in the box.
If you paid with a credit card, you can always dispute that part of the bill with your card company. That's the only good thing about CC, They'll correct it for you (it'll cost NPD more to fight the dispute)
Also you may want to make sure you called the location that shipped your package (they have 3), maybe that manager can check how many are in the computer inventory compared to the actual number on the shelf.
Mistakes happen, but it isn't a mistake when they can check it out and correct it instead of just telling you that "you are wrong". (like what the heck are you going to do with two of the same part for the same car? sell it? Then it would have been an expensive item... )
Old 10-17-2009, 07:41 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I had the same issues with the prebent brake lines I got. I got stainless ones. The fit was close, but required a bit of persuading. I believe they were Classic Tube. I had the same issue with the prebent 3/8 stainless fuel line. I have no complaints though. I already figured they would need a little adjustment to fit right.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Just wanted to kick this back up top....but, really. Got my line from laural mtn (classic tube) and just got around to putting them in. So far, I have no complaints. I started with the small ones off the master and they were almost perfect. I'm working on the long one to the back now which is a little tricky getting past the steering column but also seems to be a good fit. I need to get off to bed so, I'll finish that one up tomorrow and probably do the rest on the weekend. Can't say that I've even had to "tweak" anything yet....hopefully the rest goes as well.