Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pe-bent brake lines don't fit?

Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Default pe-bent brake lines don't fit?

I picked up a set of front brake lines at NPD. They are the correct ones and are almost the same as the originals, but they don't line up with the fitting threads. Is this normal?
I tried the 2 shortest ones first, not many bends to take it out of angle.
I left the thread loose and loosened the mounting bolt on the distribution block and brake hose mounting bracket on the inside of the wheel well, but it does not line up with the 2nd set of threads by a couple inches. Even the master cylinder to the distribution block line does not line up by almost 1 inch and the angle is wrong to thread it on straight. (Kept ALL the threads loose so I could twist the hard lines to any angle possible, just started them.)
Do I connect the lines completely and then attach the mounting brackets to the inner fender, forcing the line to bend into the correct shape? This could be done and allow the threads to go in straight as well, but will leave the hard lines stressed/flexing. Master cylinder would have to be attached to the lines first, then be bolted down to the firewall.
Or maybe I should I get a tubing bender and try to get it as close as possible?
Also, I do have all the correct brass fittings that would add the correct extension length to the lines (where required).
Thanks for any tips!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I don't know how 'normal' that is for pre-bent brake lines, but don't worry about bending them to fit. Stressing them a little isn't going to hurt them, as long as you don't kink anything.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to buy straight segments and bend them myself. I re-plumbed my front lines when I swapped to front discs. While it took a few hours, everything fits better than what I pulled off.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I agree, I have often needed to "alter" bends in preformed lines. What brand were they? Who made them?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I just replaced my brake lines with prebent lines from CJ, and they were close, but definitely not perfect fit. The ones going into the dist block were the worst as well as the MC curly ones. With some tweaking they lined up. One was at least one inch off, so I made some extra bends to shorten it and it worked. As long as you don't kink it and shut off the flow it should be fine.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

what lines are you talking about? the shorter ones right to teh wheel cylinder?

i forget where the ones CJ pony sells are from but they fit pretty good. i didnt have to really do any major bending to them.

put 1 end in and the other would be pretty close and wouldnt really take any bending just tweeking
Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 PM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

I don't think I have bought a single darn part yet that didn't need a twist here and a bend there to fit...and then I still question the fit.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:56 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

The ones CJ sells are Classic Tube. They were not too bad, but tweaking was needed as mentioned.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
I agree, I have often needed to "alter" bends in preformed lines. What brand were they? Who made them?
Doesn't say who made them. The only identifier from the manufacturer is the code code on the tag MU1001A-OE. (besides NPD's tags)
The only 2 lines I don't have connected are the line into the MC and the long line into the right brake hose. I'll try bending them a little tomorrow after I bench bleed the MC.
Thanks all!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 AM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sschanz
I don't think I have bought a single darn part yet that didn't need a twist here and a bend there to fit...and then I still question the fit.
X100

Originally Posted by MetalEd
Doesn't say who made them. The only identifier from the manufacturer is the code code on the tag MU1001A-OE. (besides NPD's tags)
The only 2 lines I don't have connected are the line into the MC and the long line into the right brake hose. I'll try bending them a little tomorrow after I bench bleed the MC.
Thanks all!
IN-LINE Tube makes there lines. I have bought lots of there product and the fit has always been close.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I love threads like this comparing parts....I am expecting my brake lines in the next day or 2 from laurel mtn and can't wait now to see how they fit. I have no idea who makes their lines, but I guess we'll see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pe-bent brake lines don't fit?