Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I told the wife the other day that if we start to get some good natural gas lease royalties here in the next year or two, before our gas lease is up in three years, we are putting up a nice 40' X 60' heated garage, lift, full air equipment, and adding another car or two to the stable. She agreed.

Lynn
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

That would be nice. I would stop over. LOL
Old 04-25-2010, 06:32 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

It has been a while since I updated this...
I got the floor rust cut out.

I just got back from a little training practice with my welder from one of the best welders around this part, he gave me a bunch of thin scrap metal to practice on and said have fun.

He didn't think I did too bad a job on welding the really thin stuff. The stuff I trained on was like 28 gauge sheet metal and it is thinner then anything I would do on a Mustang.

He told me if I could weld that thin a gauge good, I'd have no problem doing it on the Mustang.
So I'll start to practice a little more and start to tackle the trunk, and then the floors.
The welding practice was pretty fun and I guess I did surprisingly good for a newbe.

I've gotten all the front end parts I need for the V8 swap and a full Mustang disk brake conversion kit from CSRP.
I have gotten a rear end located and I hope to get my welding done and this puppy rolling by fall.
I also have gotten torque boxes and sub frames that i will be putting in as well.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 04-25-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
71Mach14spd
2nd Gear Member

Awesome keep up the good work. Keep us updated.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM
joekr
1st Gear Member

Looks like a great restoration! Keep us posted and the pics have been great!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Wow, I feel for you guys who buy these basket case mustangs. I paid $2,000 for my 66 coupe and its an all original 66,000 mile car. The floor pans still look brand new. I'd never pay $2,000 for a car you have to totally dismantle and restore... but thats me. BUT after looking at your thread Lynnbob im thinking about dismantling my car and resealing it, painting it etc. looks like you are coming along. I hope you all the well! And please keep us updated with pics
Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
64.5stanger
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6mustang6
Wow, I feel for you guys who buy these basket case mustangs. I paid $2,000 for my 66 coupe and its an all original 66,000 mile car. The floor pans still look brand new. I'd never pay $2,000 for a car you have to totally dismantle and restore... but thats me. BUT after looking at your thread Lynnbob im thinking about dismantling my car and resealing it, painting it etc. looks like you are coming along. I hope you all the well! And please keep us updated with pics
dang when did you get that kind of deal in the 80's. you sure dont see deals like that much,maby 5-6k. ours is a $650 basket case needing more than lynbob, its just how bad you want the car. In the end i'll have more than $2,000 in and far from "original 64.5" and hopefully be in my family for years to come.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I bought it in 2003... The guy DID NOT know what he had. It's truely amazing. Seriously, i have horrible luck and getting that car for that price was the best thing in my life. I need to take pics for everybody..
Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I just thought I'd drop a line on how the progress is coming along on our '65 coupe.
I've made a lot of head way in the past month or so. I've finally gotten all underneath the car cleaned and painted and I did the last little bit this weekend. I have all the rust cut out in the floor pans and ready to weld in the new patches.

I don't have to put in the full front floors and toe panels that I got with the car and luckily I only need patches, I want to keep as much original metal as possible. The engine bay is now fully painted inside and out. I just installed and bolted in the sub frame connectors today and I got the rear springs installed into the front perch. I'll weld the SFC's in later when I get a little more proficient in welding. I learned an expensive lesson in welding, turn off your tank when your done using it, I forgot to turn it off the last time I practiced welding and lost all the gas, it was a $35 mistake I won't do again, at least I hope... LOL!!

I've got to get to get the rear end I need and I can have the back end rolling. I have drilled the holes for the Shelby drop on the front end and now I can start bolting the whole front end together and get that rolling. Now that the SFC's are installed I'm getting the torque boxes and floor prepped so I can weld them in when I do the floor patches.

Once that is all done I'll start on the rear end and take the tail light panel, back cross member, and trunk drop offs out and get the new parts all welded in.

Lynn
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Update..

1)Floor pans are now done.
2)Seam sealed inside of floor pans and getting ready to under coat the inside.
3)Installing torque boxes, we just cut the fire wall slots tonight and I have to trim them some more to get them in.
4)Cutting out taillight panel, drilled out most of the spot welds using a spot weld cutter and started to pull it apart.
5)sub frame connectors are bolted in, I will weld up later.
I will try to get pics up.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 09-23-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)