Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:57 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

pictures?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Great progress and great thread! Can't wait to see current pics!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Tail light panel start

Seam seal done in rear and on front floors also. I used roof leak sealer for this, I have used it on my roof and it has held for a long time, I figured it will work here.

Sub frame connecters in stalled and whole underneath coated with truck bed coating.

Floors done, just needs to be under coated when the rest is ready.

Torque box start install.

That about get's me up to date.
Lynn
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Looks great, she sure is coming along. Now I gotta get my butt into the garage and moving.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 AM
toddpthayer

Default Looks great!

How much welding experience did you have before - and what undercoat did you use?

I'm starting a similar project on a '67 coupe. Probably a bit more rust in the floor board, passenger rear is gone as well - kinda strange. Body's a bit straighter, and it's a V8 so not as much rebuilding.

Anyway, I've got access to a Lincoln welder from work, but it's been years, and I've been weighing the cost / simplicity of having the work done - but it's really a project car for my 13 yr old son as well - so the more skills we hone, the better.

Reading the posts, I'm sure glad I'm in SoCal - no weather issues (to speak of)

Good luck, I'll be following the thread,

Todd
Old 09-26-2010, 03:18 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by toddpthayer
How much welding experience did you have before - and what undercoat did you use?

Good luck, I'll be following the thread,

Todd
I have had/got no welding experience prior to this. I bought a Hobart 140 mig handler welder and I had a local welder show me how to use it and I just went at it. I started to do practice welding on new and scrap metal. I found out it is easier just to dive in on what your going to be welding on as that is whole other learning curve.
I'll use Rustoleum undercoating for this insides of the floor and used Rustoleum truck bed coat for the bottom.
Good luck with your project.

Lynn
Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Lookin good! I'm in the same boat, just got a welder and plan to pick up some scrap metal this week to practice with. You're mig welding with CO2 right?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks!!

I'm using the Argon CO2 mix.
It is not too bad to do once you get going. I did decided early on that I'm not going to waste my time to grind my welds down on the floor pans inside or any place else where no body will see them. I'm not a concurs car and no one is going to see it any way, why bother. I'll just cover them up with the seam sealer as is.
Some people may think that is butchers work, but oh well, it is not their car.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 09-26-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Success! After much messing around and fitting I got the torque box finally in! Too bad I ran out of welding wire 1/3rd way through welding it up. LOL!!

I can't find a store open around here that has welding wire and the ones that were didn't have .24 wire, oh well I started fitting the other side. The whole key is to separate them as others have stated, it saves a lot of headaches.

Lynn
Old 03-22-2011, 03:17 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

With nicer weather approaching it is time to start thinking about working on the car again.
I just got my 8" rear end for the car and V8 drive shaft last week. That was the last part I needed to get the car rolling once I finish the torque boxes.

I just ordered $1800 worth of parts from Jegs so I can get my motor converted from a EFI to a carbed regular ignition motor. I was hoping to get the tranny and parts this year so I can get them motor and engine and tranny bolted together so I can start it up, but that won't happen.

I'll start to post pics again when I get something done again.
Lynn

Quick Reply: Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)