Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Restoring a 1968 Mustang Convertible: Best place to find parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

You should get the tach that fits the 67-68 provision for the clock. Those are sweet!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
laxexquis

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I have been on here so I figured I'd give you all an update.

The car has it's engine out, tranny out and everything bring rebuilt by a good friend.

I am definitely going to make the car a GT Clone, with just cosmetics. Another motivating factor to making the car a GT Clone was:

Though the car was originally a 289, when I was about 18, I swapped the Engine out with a friends 302 and have always regretted doing it, because I lost the original engine, even tried going to the place I left the engine to try to dig it up, but no luck. So I figured, if I've got the 302, I might as well make the best of it and make the car a GT.

One question regarding this though, was the 302 in 68 supposed to be a 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb?

The car is going to be Wimbeldon White over Dark Red, though originally Highland Green over Black, white over red was always the color I have dreamt of. If anyone remembers, I am a freak about keeping everything original, though only to the extent where the things done to the car were offered in 1968, not exactly how the car was made.

I have been using Mustang Barn for all the parts they have been great! I've ordered things from new floors to a new dash clock.

For the AM/FM Stereo radio, I found a really nice one on ebay that I am going to use, I also purchased the door speaker grills.

Though I was able to get the clock, I decided not to do the tach because it involved putting in a whole new wiring harness, and I could not even find a place to purchase any type of the original gauges.

I will post pictures of everything once I get around to it.

Thanks
John
Old 01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laxexquis
One question regarding this though, was the 302 in 68 supposed to be a 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb?

The car is going to be Wimbeldon White over Dark Red, though originally Highland Green over Black, white over red was always the color I have dreamt of. If anyone remembers, I am a freak about keeping everything original, though only to the extent where the things done to the car were offered in 1968, not exactly how the car was made.

I have been using Mustang Barn for all the parts they have been great! I've ordered things from new floors to a new dash clock.

For the AM/FM Stereo radio, I found a really nice one on ebay that I am going to use, I also purchased the door speaker grills.

Though I was able to get the clock, I decided not to do the tach because it involved putting in a whole new wiring harness, and I could not even find a place to purchase any type of the original gauges.
The 68 Mustang GT was only offered with the J code 302 4V, or big-block engines.

I use Glazier Nolan, too.

There's a trick with the door grilles on 67-68. When the car had a stereo, but standard interior, you could see the door through the courtesy light holes. They put black cloth "friction tape" on the door to hide the textured metal surface. I kid you not.

There is a tach, newly available, that goes into the large RH hole where the factory tach was, and replaces the gauges there. On a 68, you need to get a 67 "GASOLINE" gauge, too. I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet, so I have no idea what it might cost.

GN has used 67-68 gauges.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I like this tach setup the best and it doesn't change the rest of the gauges.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...ach/index.html

http://bcmcforum.com/graphics/minita...0Printable.pdf

I didn't know that about the door grilles. Thats kinda goofy.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

This is your opportunity to 'modernize' the car if you are interested. I put a Total Control Products front suspension and power rack and disc front brakes in. Now, the car acts like a modern car which has made it much 'easier' and enjoyable to drive. I use the car as a daily driver so that was important to me.

The classic mustang has become a palette to express yourself. Build the car that fits you. Since you have kept it this long, odds are you'll die before it is sold.

http://mustangefiswap.blogspot.com/
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Two months of talk on this car and NO PICS??

Please post pics!!I would love to see what you got.

Lynn
Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
laxexquis

Hello,

It has been a while and I have finally got around to it and snapped some pics right now of only the interior parts. I have pics of the actual car with the engine be lifted out on my other computer I need to find somewhere in my documents.

The car is in a shop stripped down with new flooring being put in, the engine already rebuilt and waiting to be painted and much more.

If you noticed, I am really trying to keep the car all 68 correct, by only doing upgrades that were originally an option.

Though the car was originally a 289, when I was about 18, I swapped the Engine out with a friends 302 and have always regretted doing it, because I lost the original engine, even tried going to the place I left the engine to try to dig it up, but no luck. So I figured, if I've got the 302, I might as well make the best of it and make the car a GT.

I am also waiting to find the whole original tach setup on eBay. There were two on there but I missed both of them, so hopefully a couple more will come on.

I also remember talking about the correct dark blue. I had ordered Rustoleum 1606 and it seem so darn dark. So I returned it and got 1606 from DupliColor which was a little better so it is what I am using.

Now I need to know what to paint what in the car, not just the engine, other then the exterior color, out of all the components what should I be painting and what color, anyone have a list?

Here are the pics:

As you may know from previous posts, I am changing the original black interior to the correct red that was offered in 68.

I also at one point posted a lot about the original AM/FM radio that I wanted because I only had the AM radio and wanted the FM, but also wanted to stay original. This was the perfect solution, I found a nice redone one that is correct for 68 down to whether or not it say Philco or Ford. You'll see a pic of the new AM/FM one and the original AM radio.

To moderators: Could you change the title of this thread to something like 1968 Mustang Restoration?

John

Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Itsa 66

Is that a new way to sharpen chain saw blades?

Anyhow, it looks like you're well on your way. But I will throw in my vote for Craigslist for those who may look to this thread for help on part sources. I scored over $900 worth of parts for $80 off Craigslist from a guy who wanted new shiny parts for his '66. They're not new parts but way better than what I stripped off my car. I also got a pair of '66 seats complete in good shape for $65. You just gotta keep your eyes open and you will find deals.

Good luck with your 'stang. Looks like you're way ahead of me, another 'old timer' (49). Enjoy!!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laxexquis
I also at one point posted a lot about the original AM/FM radio that I wanted because I only had the AM radio and wanted the FM, but also wanted to stay original. This was the perfect solution, I found a nice redone one that is correct for 68 down to whether or not it say Philco or Ford. You'll see a pic of the new AM/FM one and the original AM radio.
Um, that's not the "correct" radio, not even close. But it'll work just fine.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:38 PM
laxexquis

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Um, that's not the "correct" radio, not even close. But it'll work just fine.
Really, what's wrong with it?

I have a copy of the 68 owners manual and they picture an AM/FM radio which looks exactly like it, I also have a 68 brochure and it pictures the AM/FM radio and it looks exactly like it. So what am I missing? I never doubt info coming from you as it is always correct.

John

Quick Reply: Restoring a 1968 Mustang Convertible: Best place to find parts needed?