Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

i need a good suspension for a 1966 mustang what kind?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
natebomber

Default i need a good suspension for a 1966 mustang what kind?

i need a susoension that can handle a 331 and be reliable what kind and where do i get it
Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

wrong section pal... this is the foxbody 5.0 section, here these guys will help you
Old 11-14-2009, 10:57 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

What are your goals? The suspensions would be differant for road course, drag racing, or sreet cruising.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:05 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

66's are now fox bodies?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

No, this post was moved from the fox body section.

To answer the OP, the stock style suspension can work very well, if properly modified. Here's what I run in my '67fb with a 331:

1" drop 560lb front coils (commonly referred to as "620" coils)
Mid-eye 4.5 leaf springs
Stock replacement upper and lower control arms
Shelby/Arning UCA drop
Edelbrock IAS shocks
Roller spring perches
15/16" front sway bar
Monte carlo bar
Stock-style 4-piston KH disc brakes

I drive my car hard on occasion. The only complaints I have are with a bit of excess body roll in the rear and some slight excess bouncing after severe bumps. The body roll can be countered with a rear sway bar (I wouldn't recommend this to most people as it can result in unnerving and unsafe oversteer in day to day driving) and some Bilstein shocks.

The UCA drop and roller perches are the key components. The Shelby drop fixes the crappy stock suspension geometry to provide negative camber while cornering, keeping the tires flatter on the road. The roller perches remove the stock rubber bushing perch bind, providing better ride quality and more responsive handling.

The springs and shocks can be changed to suit goals. My car rides firm and handles well, but won't rattle your teeth out. Stiffer springs/shocks will handle slightly better but will be nearly undriveable on the street. Replacement GT springs and KYB GR-2 shocks will provide a much more comfortable ride without getting too spongy.

If you really want to spend money, Global West and TCP have some really nice tubular coilover setups. Overkill for most cars, but still nice
Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

would the 1 5/8 drop be any better than the 1 inch shelby drop? with the corrected ball joint angle shims? i would suspect it would be..
Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You'd probably have a hell of a time with bump-steer with a 1-5/8" drop unless you used a bump steer correction kit. And unless you're racing it, I think it would be overkill. Even the Shelby race cars only ran something like a 1-1/2" drop.

The 1" drop made a world of difference when I did it. It should be enough for most street cars.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That probably depends on the car's (competition) purpose and amount of lowering. At stock height and in street duty it may result in a slightly too-short virtual front view swing arm length (and a little too much camber gain and lateral tire scrub). I have not run any numbers.

Norm
Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

http://opentrackerracingproducts.com/baertracker/
the bump steer corrector kit isnt too much, im tempted to try this drop instead of the 1"...
Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

If money is the issue and you are looking for a decent stock style upgrade, I went with Mustangsplus grab-a-trak package. They have several different kits with different ride heights and spring ratings. They can send you shock and bushings, ball joints, etc too.
If money is not an issue, the coilover kits sound awesome. Total Cost Involved (TCI) offers front and rear kits. I haven't heared anything positive or negative about any particular kit.

Quick Reply: i need a good suspension for a 1966 mustang what kind?