Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

paint shop blues

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by findads
There are tons of online sites to review businesses....
and they are rarely accurate. Once someone is fed up enough to post on one, the truth gets stretched to the point of being worthless. One ex-customer of mine trashed my shop online and it was so far in left field... Nothing close to truthful. So, I started checking other shops. It was easy to tell a POed customer from a shop owner reviewing their own shop. The BBB is no better. I had to deal with them on this same idiot. BBB, yahoo, local cops (they even asked to use my phone to call the cops on me), FEMA (yes, FEMA - the loser was desperate), and too many others they went to to remember. Go ahead, post a review - just be sure to state the facts and be reasonable. My ordeal was from an idiot that didn't want to pay checkout fees although I had a signed order with the charges in bold...
Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 PM
findads

hmmmm... in reading several online reviews it seems fairly easy to me to determine if someone is just angry and disgruntled or if it is someone who has been seriously taken advantage of. Multiple complaints that are all similar in nature can demonstate a trend.
I don't believe that most people jump right to online review sites to trash a business but want to resolve an issue and make an effort to deal with the situation in-person. If the matter is unresolved people do whatever it takes to be heard. I suppose that there are some people who have too much time on their hands and jump to damaging a business before exhausting other alternatives.
In the case of this thread, I think the owner is justified in posting negative reviews of the shop if they are unwilling to make things right.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by findads
In the case of this thread, I think the owner is justified in posting negative reviews of the shop if they are unwilling to make things right.
Absolutely! Keep it above the belt and it's all good. The problem is when complainers take it beyond reality. Trash a shop for using Rustoleum, but don't do it if you told them to use it in the first place. Honestly, not enough folks complain to put the bottom end shops out of business, but many that do make things up and lose all credibility letting crappy shops thrive.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

So... for those of us that are considering a paint job in the very near future, what would you suggest as a clear scope of work that would be agreeable and reasonable between the shop and buyer?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Be sure they warranty thier work against bubbles, peeling, etc. Make sure they agree to strip it to bare metal, disassemble parts for painting, remove glass, notify you of any rust found and get consent and agree on a plan of attack for each new problem that arises, in writing. I'd say that's a good starting point.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

It's been a while since I've posted to this one, but I FINALLY have some news...
We went to court today and presented our case. We didn't think the other guy was even going to show up because he was 20 minutes late. My wife and I told the judge everything that was mentioned above, as well as showed pictures of the shoddy workmanship, receipts, work orders and 2 letters from other industry professionals (notarized of course) that had each seen the crappy work done on the car.
After a brief recess the judge came back in and gave us her ruling....Wait for it....

WE WON! We got almost every thing we were asking for as well as the cost of the process server and the court fees. The system actually worked! Now we just have to get him to pay up, though he did say he would, but that it would take about a month for him to get the money.
I know that I promised I would disclose the name of the shop when everything was settled, but it came out in court that since mediation in April, the shop has since gone out of business. Lucky for us it was a sole proprietorship rather than an LLC or Corporation, so we still get paid. It used to be known as Discount Paint and Auto Body in Tacoma, WA.
My wife and I are so happy to have this behind us and that it turned out in our favor. Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advice.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

That's great news! I remember reading this thread months ago and wondering how it would go down, and I'm glad to hear you guys won! By the way your mustang looks BEAUTIFUL in your signature!!!