Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Watertight classic car radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I can think of no radio that would not suffer from water intrusion.

How much 3M Glass Bedding Compound did they use when installing the windshield?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Only thing I can think of is the bottom of the windshield end just above the radio...but that would have had to of been a HORRIBLE windshield install to leak there. Have you crawled under the dash and looked up with a flashlight? Just wondering if you have some rot at the pinch weld where the windshield meets.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
Only thing I can think of is the bottom of the windshield end just above the radio...but that would have had to of been a HORRIBLE windshield install to leak there. Have you crawled under the dash and looked up with a flashlight? Just wondering if you have some rot at the pinch weld where the windshield meets.
If they don't use enough 3M Glass Bedding Compound (I have even seen cars with none) it'll leak even if the steel pinchweld is perfect.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:54 PM
msmith
1st Gear Member

Not even a marine radio is designed to withstand water behind the mounting bezel. You need to kill that leak before wasting any money on another radio.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

My radio did the same thing until

..........................ready................... are you sure....................................positive.. ...............

I fixed the leak in my cowl.

But hey that might not be the problem with yours
Old 12-21-2009, 03:13 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

You could get one of these.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=CC1

I have this one. Its the nicest one I have seen.

My car doesn't really leak that I know of, but I use it anyway if it is parked outside under trees when a bunch of leaves are falling or its raining.

I doubt the radio can be saved, but its worth a shot. You can clean it as mentioned above. You can also try electronics cleaner, which is available at most auto parts stores. Radio Shack may even have it.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 PM
lawman65

I had the same issue and ruined a great Alpine stereo. I replaced it and put 3 layers of heavy plastic on the top and sides of the radio and duct taped it around those sides and no problems since. Just leave the bottom and rear open for air flow.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 AM
JamesW

Originally Posted by lawman65
I had the same issue and ruined a great Alpine stereo. I replaced it and put 3 layers of heavy plastic on the top and sides of the radio and duct taped it around those sides and no problems since. Just leave the bottom and rear open for air flow.
That's what I was going to suggest. Also, get up under there with a light and look for evidence to show where water runs. it may be a small leak, but the water may follow a down hill path that takes it right over the radio. for example, the vent control cables, existing wiring runs, defrost ducts, etc., all could carry water over the radio.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:00 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

I am back and found a leak in the windshield seal, and also found where the water drips directly over the radio but the leak and the drip point dont match up and I could not find any other leaks anywhere. Maybe someone who has installed a dash and knows more could inform me.

Here is where the water leaks from the windshield seal, in the drivers side corner. This makes water drip down past the kick panel for sure.

The water is dripping over the radio from this half circle with the arrow pointed at it

The seal is not leaking in the middle of the windshield, I removed the heater panel to check, no water even follows the dashpad and the dashpad is not wet just thhat metal below it seen in the picture before

Thank you to anyone who can give me an idea!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

So I just poured water directly where the radio is on the windshield and it leaks like crazy! The inner part of the seal does not leak but the outer which I assume leaks down to that metal and then down onto the radio. I am going to seal off that metal strip the best I can and am taking the it to get the seal re done correctly hopefully this time.

Thats ridiculous I paid a ton of money the first time to have this fixed and its been leaking the entire time.

Quick Reply: Watertight classic car radio?