Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Watertight classic car radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Default Watertight classic car radio?

EDIT: Please look at my last post where I found the leak!

My custom autosound radio that is less than a year old is dead from water damage I had my car in the shop and they left it out in the rain and it died. The same shop I paid to fix my water leaks

I called them and told them I want the water leaks fixed since I have already gave them lots of money to fix said leaks which I thought were fixed for years now since Ive never left my car in pouring rain.

I dont really want to deal with a tiny bit of water completely killing my radio.

Are there any classic car radios out there that wont die from a few drips of water? You think custom autosound knowing their radio was being put in a car that commonly leaks water would have the vents on the side of underside of the radio not the top

Any ideas? (besides getting the leaks fixed which I am going to make the shop do)

Last edited by nba1341; 12-29-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:16 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

P.S. might my current radio be able to be saved?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Gun Jam

im more concerned as to how water is getting on the radio....thats dead center in the middle of the dash...I dont even know how water can get there.

You could build a splash guard for it somehow perhaps....Do you know were the water is coming from? and how do you know it got wet?

-Gun
Old 12-18-2009, 06:49 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
im more concerned as to how water is getting on the radio....thats dead center in the middle of the dash...I dont even know how water can get there.

You could build a splash guard for it somehow perhaps....Do you know were the water is coming from? and how do you know it got wet?

-Gun
Well it was raining pretty hard last week. My windshield seal is brand new and the windshield wiper rubber washers are new because water used to leak from there.

I am assuming the radio wouldnt just die from anything but the rain, my carpet smells mildewy along with my trunk so i know it was out in the rain.

There is power to the radio and it wont turn on at all. I believe water travels along the dash and then drips over the top of the radio but I have no idea where it is coming in from since a hose in the cowl shows no water drips and I have not been able to trace the water.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Gun Jam

which brand of radio is it? Im guessing its out of warranty?

If its out of warranty...then try this.

Slide it out and open the case look to see if there is any sign of water on the circuit board. If not you must verify power to the radio..it could be a fuse or a ground.

If it is wet inside...remove as much of the case as possible. I would try to chase the water away with 99% iso rubbing alcohol. Due to the nature of the system the printed circuit board is tough and will resist the alcohol. I would spray the alcohol onto the wet areas to displace the water and let it air dry...it may work again.

-Gun
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

The radio is a custom autosound USA-630. Its still under warranty but Ive sent a water damaged radio to them before and they wouldn't even touch the thing. Would green/white/brown corrosion indicate water was there? and could it still be cleaned even if the radio has been dried out?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Just opened the under side and there is lots of corrosion right where the vents are on top of the radio. Could cleaning all this corrosion with alchohol possibly save the dried radio?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Gun Jam

yes corrosion could indicate water intrusion... Is the case sealed with "warranty void if removed" stickers??

The corrosion could be cleaned by mixing distilled water with baking soda to make a light paste that you could brush on with a toohbursh gently. Then flush clean with the 99% iso.

Where do you see this corrosion?

-Gun

Send me a pic!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:30 PM
rbinck
1st Gear Member

Good grief!

I would not try to get a new radio until the water is kept out of the vehicle. Then about any radio would do.

The windshield is entirely above the dashboard and the dashboard is welded into the cowl, so the only way to get water from above would be through the speaker grille. It would take a tremendous amount of water coming in the windshield seal to be able to get in the grille.

You said the windshield seal is new. Did the same shop install the windshield? I'd be suspicious of the windshield being removed and stored outside with some plastic covering the opening that came or was blown off. An open windshield would let enough water in over the radio to cause what you described.

As far as cleaning the corrosion goes, it probably is going to be a lost cause.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Gun Jam

+1 to that

but cleaning the corrosion may prove to be effort well spent...it depends.

Last edited by Gun Jam; 12-18-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Watertight classic car radio?