Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rebuilding 302 - should I stay carb or go to FI

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 PM
66 girl

Default rebuilding 302 - should I stay carb or go to FI

I have a 66 Mustang with a 68 302. The transmission needs a rebuild, and it currently has the "wrong" carb on it.

I have decided to have the engine and transmission rebuilt and the mechanic has the parts on the way. I gotta decide whether I should get a new carb, or should I just go for it and switch to fuel injection?

My car is stock, so I'm sorta leaning towards staying with a carb. It is one of the nicest daily drivers around, but I do park it for the 3 or 4 rainy/winter months we have here on Vancouver Island, BC. My husband is in favour of the fuel injection for performance and fuel economy. I just wonder if the "economy" will take some time to catch up to itself, after I've paid for the initial cost of switching it over.

Thanks for responding.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the EFI swap can be done prety cheap jamesw. has some swap info on his site
http://midnightdsigns.com/james/
Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Be sure to do a lot of research and read up on troubleshooting/diagnosing an EFI system. It's more involved than just the intake and what's above it, you'll have to run an elelctric pump and return lines, computer, sensors, etc.
The MPG may improve slightly and cold start but performance is actually better with a carb.
You'll get a lot of opinions on this.
Jon
Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I've got a '95 5.0 EFI with a Cobra full EFI set up that will be going into our '65. I will be switching it over to a carb set up.
Lynn
Old 12-13-2009, 05:31 PM
BlackFlame
1st Gear Member

MY vote goes for Fuel Injection if your budget, time frame and patience allows. Its more reliable, easier to tune and monitor fail safes (if the ECU and all is implemented properly) and can infinitely be upgraded.

For example, if you ever add a blower/turbo/supercharger (whatever)...you can upgrade injectors and pump (if the pump isnt already beefed up) and bam..the system is up to the task.

They both have their pros and cons for sure. FI is pricey (depending on setup) and certainly requires more parts and effort for installation. Its more reliable and is usually resistant to the NASTY stuff thats put in gas as additives (at least for me its the 10% ethanol in NY).

Carbs are less expensive, quicker to tune and require less items on-board to make them work. They can be a pain do diagnose if something is wrong and can sometimes leave you stranded if they are being temperamental. There is a great place that does rebuilds ( I cant recall their name now) but you send them ALL the data on your car, engine, drivetrain, intended use ...etc and they set the carb up perfectly for it...Ive heard the results are great too.

Again, all the above is just my opinion as I will be going with fuel injection on my 3rd time around with my car..whenever I start the project again...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

This is the fuel injection I would use if I was going to use one: http://www.professional-products.com/EFI_Main.php
Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

An EFI swap is greatly simplified with $$$ by buying the new fordfuelinjection.com (RJM, Detail Zone, et al) harness and the Ron Morris Performance fuel system. It isn't the cheapest solution for sure, but it is pretty much plug and play and uses all new parts.

Everybody's results may vary, but with a new Ford Racing GT-40 motor, I saw a marked improvement in fuel economy with EFI versus carb (new and dynotuned). That said, it will definitely be easier and cheaper to just get your carb issues worked out. You've got to really want the EFI to put in the effort and cost IMO.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Gun Jam

Is it really more reliable than a carb?

on the very rare occasion that a particle of dirt gets past my fuel filter I just hit my carb with a screwdriver and it gets me home...that pretty hardcore and gritty reliability there. I would think the reliability would be about equal with the disadvantage of the EFI system being far more complicated to trouble shoot when it does have an issue...

any thoughts on this??

-Gun
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
darkngtz
2nd Gear Member

keep the carb, the efi from the 80s foxbody is a huge buzz-kill when you look under the hood.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

If its a daily driver then the 5.0 style EFI may be more suitable for predictable starts and better fuel economy.

Personally, I would stick with the carb. When I reworked mine I kept it carbed. I much prefer this look to efi.

This is mine.

Quick Reply: rebuilding 302 - should I stay carb or go to FI