Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Security and alarms, also hey to everyone....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Default Security and alarms, also hey to everyone....

Hey, its been a while since I've been on here. I got married, had a baby, and now I'm tyring to finish up school (mech engineering).
Alright so here's the thing: I just moved my family into married housing on campus, and as a result we only really need my wife's car. This is making me want to bring my ride down over spring break from my dad's shop where its been sitting. However, occasionally stuff gets stolen from around campus. I go to a private university that is absolutely top notch in every way, but the ghetto has grown up around it.
Previously, I've had no need for security, but if I bring it down I want a good alarm. Any ideas? I have lots of electrical experience, but none with alarms. I'm not too worried about anyone stealing the car as it will be right outisde and those dual flowmaster 40's dumped are loud enough to wake up everyone on the block. My main concern is someone knocking out a window and jacking my audio.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

hiya! havent seen you for a while. ya, there is people stupid enough knocking windows for a 50$ radio on those cars, my experience. I wouldn't take it too easy with the flowmasters. that car can be on a trailer in a minute
Old 01-22-2010, 05:40 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

It would be pretty hard to get it on a trailer without someone noticing. Its going to be parked in about a 20 car lot surrounded by housing thats full of my friends. Many of them have bikes on their porches or in the parking lot, and they seem to be ok. If anyone sees anything fishy they'll give me a call and I'll come out shooting. Mainly I just want something to make some racket and wake up the neighborhood if someone starts tampering with my ride.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

hey man welcome back! Ive been wondering the same thing. That and looking for electric door locks so that I can unlock the doors via remote. One important thing with an alarm will be a backup battery or trunk mounted battery so that its not so easy to cut the power. Shock sensors and a hood switch if someone opens it.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Yeah I was thinking maybe a motion sensor mounted on the dash that would detect movement directly in front of the windshield (hood area) as well as anywhere in the interior. Also probably an audio sensor for glass breaking and a tilt sensor to make sure no one is going after my wheels.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I have had a few of the Clifford alarms in my cars and have great luck. Real simple to install them in the older cars. They have the ones with coded valet so if someone carjacks or hotwires the car they can only get down the street before the alarm goes off and car dies. Some of the sirens have backup batteries built right in them. Without labor probably couple to three hundred bucks.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Make sure you have the best insurance you can afford.A alarm will only slow down a good theft the vent window you can jimmy open with a screw driver the steering wheel don't lock and the key is easy to pick.But most thefts now use tow trucks.I drive a repo truck i can take a car in 30 secs and never get out of the truck.I'm honest but others ain't tho.I have towed cars with the alarm screaming no one ever looks out anymore.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I like Code Alarm. Viper is good. Don't waste your time with Crimestopper.

If it were me, my 65 would stay at the shop. I wouldn't leave it in an apartment parking lot.

If your set on doing it, make sure the face is removed from the radio (if it has one) at all times. Also use steering wheel and brake pedal locks.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:37 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Good to see you back and congrads on becoming a father. I would think that an audible alarm would offer a good deterrent if someone messes with your ride. With that many neighbours someone would have to look. I hate thieves. Oh, whats its name.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Make sure you have the best insurance you can afford.A alarm will only slow down a good theft the vent window you can jimmy open with a screw driver the steering wheel don't lock and the key is easy to pick.But most thefts now use tow trucks.I drive a repo truck i can take a car in 30 secs and never get out of the truck.I'm honest but others ain't tho.I have towed cars with the alarm screaming no one ever looks out anymore.
I was looking into wheel boots awhile back to try and deter this. They came down a lot in price, right around $200.

Quick Reply: Security and alarms, also hey to everyone....