Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

WHAT IS THIS??? Photos inside.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 AM
ZenithMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Question WHAT IS THIS??? Photos inside.

Well, I just got my first car back from my grandparents after many years of being away from it. They did a lot of work to it like paint, interior, etc.

One thing they didn't really focus on was the engine. Its a 200 I6, and it runs OK, especially for being a somewhat fresh rebuild. I will eventually be ditching this motor for a fuel injected 331, but that is another story.

Right now I just cruise in this car once or twice a week, maybe 15-20 miles. I however have been noticing some vapor coming from a port in the drivers side of the block just in front of the distributor. It is a wide open hole, and while the engine is at operating temp, a good amount of vapor comes pouring out. Im guessing that this was for the SMOG equipment that originally came on the car, but is now off, or some crude PCV setup.

I have seen cars with tubes coming out and down from this hole, and I have seen them with what looks like no plug, but I just cant tell. Please help me... What is this and should I plug it, run it or what? If I need to plug it, I can fab something up, but if there is a cheap, made for this plug out there, I could go for that too.

So, here are the photos.

And sorry for my newbness. I know my way around most V8's, and just about any late model, especially chevy's, but this just kinda has be baffled, and my google-fu is weak on this subject as well.

Thanks all!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:22 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Too easy. On early cars there was a road draft tube bolted on there. Your 66 should have a "freeze plug" in the hole.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 AM
ZenithMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Awesome.. I figured it was something along those lines, but couldn't find any concrete info on it.

I guess I will just press a freeze plug in it tomorrow then.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 AM
halloranedward

Default draft tube

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Too easy. On early cars there was a road draft tube bolted on there. Your 66 should have a "freeze plug" in the hole.

I would like to find more about the " draft tube" I get how it worked, but I read that race cars don't use that or cvr but something called a venturi tube and scavenger , does the draft tube or cvr do something besides geting rid of crankcase vapor?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by halloranedward
I would like to find more about the " draft tube" I get how it worked, but I read that race cars don't use that or cvr but something called a venturi tube and scavenger , does the draft tube or cvr do something besides geting rid of crankcase vapor?
Road Draft Tube = Scavenge Tube. They are intended to draw out crankcase vapors.

The angled tip, sticking out in to the air flowing under the car has a slight vacuum on the rearward-facing opening, and sucks the vapors of of the tube.

The PCV does the same thing, only better, by using manifold vacuum instead.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thats interesting. I always wondered what that was for on our old 200.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya. you get mock in there and the dipstick goes flying. latest then you know *g*