Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

modern 5 speed swap...do i really have to cut my car? :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Take a look again Kali, your driveshaft is probably UP 3 degrees. And if your engine is down 5, your working angle is 8. That's pretty damn high, and is probably the problem if you measured right.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:23 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Take a look again Kali, your driveshaft is probably UP 3 degrees. And if your engine is down 5, your working angle is 8. That's pretty damn high, and is probably the problem if you measured right.
Oh yeah, a 2° mismatch would be significant, and you'd feel it. Outfits like Summit have axle wedges to correct such problems.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

i interpret kali's numbers as a 2 degree working angle on both u-joints with the angles opposite. i interpreted the driveshaft as sloping from the transmission down to the pinion. thus the numbers would be subtracted. am i confused?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

No, your right. I got confused. I looked at the car here and it looked like the driveshaft went up in this car. It ducks between the exh tubing and I can't see it real well right now. But it does look like it goes down. I try to stay away from these conversations on the internet for this reason. It can get confusing as hell, quick.

Actually Kali that's weird. Sounds like the setting you had of 2deg down compared to the tailshaft, was right. Send me a PM though. I'm done sidetracking the mans thread.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Yeah, just a know it all. But well enough to make a living at it and guide others with CORRECT information.

I think you need to go back and reread some. I didn't say it didn't. I believe I asked you what the measurements were. And somewhere in there said something about every car is different, depending on ride height. Then you got your panties in a wad. What I MIGHT KNOW is that chances are you are exceeding the working angle. Is it possible your not ? Sure. Likely ? Don't think so. But you'll sit here and continue to argue rather than showing some measurements. You can do what you want, I really don't care. I think at least I've made my point clear enough that people won't just throw in their tranny and cross their fingers and hope it "looks" good.
Ok, so I got my angle finder from Jeg's yesterday, measured the angles this evening.

I attached the angle finder to a piece of electrical conduit in order to make photographs possible. the rear end has been brought up to as close to ride height as my 1,000 lb trany jack will get it, but it is still about an inch short of where it should be, but I think close enough to make a point.

I made the tranny measurement off the front of the harmonic balancer, the rear measurement was made by placing the conduit in the yoke where the u-joint goes.

The engine is 4 degrees down,
The Pinion is 3 degrees up,
The drive shaft angle is 3 degrees.

With the tires on the ground, the air filter is about 1/2 degree down.

in honesty, if the axle were all the way up where it should be I would probably loose maybe 1/2 degree, to perhaps 2 1/2 degrees, but this would be easy enough to fix with shims, if they were needed, which they are not. There is not enough driveline angle to make this matter.

Engine

Pinion

Driveline

I didn't throw the the tranny in on a wish and a prayer, I applied a little common sense. If I would have had issues, I WOULD NOT have posted my solution on the forum. I posted it because it works, and to boot it was a DIRECT answer to the OP's question.

Just a guess, but I want to imagine that "Kessler's huge re-engineering expense" for "new more narrow" TKO's, likely amount to a regular TKO with the machining bosses cut off the top sides, I have already made one of these "Narrow TKO's" for my 39.

I only have "before and after" pictures from opposite sides, but it is possible to get an idea, right next to the furthest forward rectangular casting on the top of the tranny you will see an boss (hole) on an extended piece of casting on the left side, looking at the other picture you will see the corresponding piece cut off on the right side. (both are cut off as well as the same on the rear resulting in a "narrower" transmission. Kessler's answer, maybe not, but I think probably so.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

as a simple lessons learned. before i had installed the 5-speed, i purchased a degree finder from lowes (shown in picture). i was playing around measuring the rocker angle, engine angle, etc, to see how moving things impacted the angle. after awhile i noticed some conflicting measurements. so i put the angle finder on a bubble level and noticed that it was off three degrees. so i popped off the plastic cover and there is a little notch on the inside and a notch on the paper that contains the degree marks. so i shifted the paper, checked it against the bubble level and all was good. to illustrate what can happen if the angle finder has an offset, i opened it back up, shifted the paper around 5 degrees. i then set it on a stand that i put a slight offset in. the first picture is of the measured degree. it shows 1.5 degrees so i would tell myself its sloped at 1.5 degrees. i then spun the level and took a picture from the other side. you can see that it then measured 10 degrees.

the point is, check your level. if you a referencing angles and always use the same side, then all can be good. if you flip around you will start getting incorrect results.

for reference only, i placed the angle finder on top of the motor and measured the angle. (my configuration has the transmission very tight up to the tunnel (with a low profile base shifter, the base is level with the surface of the shift hole (remember i notched the tunnel brace) and i have ron morris 1/2" drop mounts.

i then dropped the transmission 1" (where the crossmember mount goes) and i measured an increase in angle of almost 2.5 degrees over my configuration. i dropped it another 1/2" to simulate not having the ron morris mounts and i measured an added increase of 1 degree totaling almost 3.5 from my current configuration.

for additional information (not promoting Keisler products) but they machine the top of the case and reform the cover (the gold plated one). if i had this transmission i would not have to add clearance to the tunnel where the firewall and floorpans meet. here is a picture of the keisler mod.

keisler on the left, stock on the right.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDemon
i then dropped the transmission 1" (where the crossmember mount goes) and i measured an increase in angle of almost 2.5 degrees over my configuration. i dropped it another 1/2" to simulate not having the ron morris mounts and i measured an added increase of 1 degree totaling almost 3.5 from my current configuration.

Well, I can only say that my measurements are what they are, I checked the angle finder by measuring the same fixed object in both directions, it read the same in both directions.

I guess I could get someone to take a picture of me actually holding the mount against the yoke and the front pulley.....

We are running a set of aftermarket mounts also, similar to RMP mounts but without the lateral adjustment. This may made a little difference, but IMO not enough to really matter.