Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 woodgrain console

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 PM
boulderrs

Default '65 woodgrain console

I have a '65 convertible center console without the woodgrain detail. I would like to add it on the console but I am not impressed with the "stick-on" applications offered by the mail order. I have found Tony’s Auto Classics and he has a high quality product that is aluminum back woodgrain like the "original". The only issue I've noticed is his product does not cover the skinny section just to the left of the drive selector because apparently it is too thin of an area to cut the aluminum backing. He recommends to paint that gap area brown to match the woodgrain. Is this how the original was?

Has anyone purchased this product from Tony and if so are you satisfied with how it turned out? Also, does anyone have a close-up picture of an original woodgrain console especially around the drive selector?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:25 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I don't know how the original was. I don't think I would paint it though. Why not just use the sticker type to fill in the area?

If it were my car I wouldn't do the woodgrain look. Do you have full pony interior and all the trimmings?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM
boulderrs

yes, full pony interior and all that remains to be done is the woodgrain on the console. I think you are right though, filling in that space with sticker application would certainly look better (than brown paint). Hopefully someone that has the original woodgrain can send a pic of how it looks.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

I bought the decal set for the woodgrain from NPD. I removed the original woodgrain, or what was left of it and replaced. The original was a 'different' plastic but still a decal of sorts. Perhaps it was just a different material type that felt stiffer but the 44 years also had effected it.

The replacement looks great once installed and trimmed. The aluminum/chrome trim stays put and the woodgrain applies to it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 PM
msmith
1st Gear Member

Here's my 66 console, which I'm pretty sure is original... The small strip to the left of the shifter indicator window is a different material than the woodgrain decals. It's very close in color, but it has a leatherette grain to it rather than the woodgrain of the rest of the decals. This would seem to agree with what you found out about the original foil-backed decals not being able to be cut in such a narrow shape.

Here's a few other shots I found that might help (don't know whether these are original or aftermarket decals):

Last edited by msmith; 10-29-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 PM
boulderrs

thanks msmith! I think I what I will do is go ahead and order the woodgrain package from Tony's Classics and then try to "fill-in" the section to the left of the drive selector with the same decal so the color matches. I'll post some pictures after I'm done.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:33 PM
Stella66

Default Wood grain pony interior

Originally Posted by boulderrs
I have a '65 convertible center console without the woodgrain detail. I would like to add it on the console but I am not impressed with the "stick-on" applications offered by the mail order. I have found Tony’s Auto Classics and he has a high quality product that is aluminum back woodgrain like the "original". The only issue I've noticed is his product does not cover the skinny section just to the left of the drive selector because apparently it is too thin of an area to cut the aluminum backing. He recommends to paint that gap area brown to match the woodgrain. Is this how the original was?

Has anyone purchased this product from Tony and if so are you satisfied with how it turned out? Also, does anyone have a close-up picture of an original woodgrain console especially around the drive selector?
I used vinyl wrap (wood grain)
(Pics might not do the look justice) but looks great and u can get it to cover as it was intended.. I think I paid 10 buck for material on ebay.
see attached pics (hope they show)
or email me @ emaileddiediaz@yahoo.com and I can send them to u.
-Stella66

Old 09-03-2020, 02:21 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

That looks sharp.