Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Best place to buy parts from

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:51 PM
chrisguzman

Default Best place to buy parts from

Hey guys, just wondering who you feel is a reputable place to buy mustang parts from online both quality and price wise. I have a lot of parts that I need to order and would like to get some feed back before making a big purchase. Thanks guys in advance.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
tidepride
1st Gear Member

cjponyparts.com has a lot of classic mustang stuff, but you should check under the vendor section of the forums all of those places are pretty reputable
Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

Ive always had great luck with Mustangs Unlimited. I know others on here like National Parts Depot and CJ Pony Parts too.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:15 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

There is no one place, each has their advantages, Glazier Nolan, NPD, MU, etc. If you have a lot of questions you want to call GN, since they do restorations and answer very specific questions about the parts. It also helps if a dealer is reasonable driving distance from you, that makes it feasible to actually go there and look at the stuff, and can save you a bundle on shipping, too. Be careful when comparing prices, if, for example, you are shopping for fender aprons, they are made by several manufacturers, and the quality runs from "really good" to "crap". A good dealer will advise you which is which, or may not even offer the crappy one, there could be $30 difference between dealer "A" and dealer "B", and this could be why. Collect a few catalogs. Ask questions, of the dealer and online. Never hurts to have more info.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

I like to order from cj pony parts

except now all of a sudden cj has decided to start shipping fed ex. Fed Ex is a terrible shipment service I dont think I have ever gotten a package on time nor ever gotten updated tracking info till the day of delivery which is usually 5 days off of their estimated delivery.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

I notice your profile says CA. I'm in Norcal and have dealt with just about every mustang shop up here. Mustang Plus has the biggest inventory and very knowledgable, but give-a-hoot factor could be higher. Sacramento Mustang is nothing but ego's shoved in a good looking business, and their prices show it. By far, the most friendly, knowledgable and best service is a little known shop in Rancho Cordova called American Mustang. Suggestion, if you plan to buy body panels, buy them in person, and inspect before you purchase. Overall, Mustang+ has the biggest inventory and quick shipping.

Last edited by groho; 02-21-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have bought from all of these and a few others.

I like Mustangs Unlimited and use them most of the time.

CJ Pony Parts is fine, except they often don't tell you if something is backordered and the shipping can sometimes be slow. They do offer good specials though.

Mustangs Plus is cool because the have Granada and Versailles parts as well as other unique restomod parts.

NPD has a good selection and I haven't had any issues with them.

These are some others that I have had good results from California Mustang, Viginia Mustang, Dallas Mustang, Paddock Parts, Laurel Mountain Mustang, and Mustang Project.

The only shop that I really can't recommend is Texas Mustang in Waco. I won't ever use them again. They used to be fairly good years ago, but more recently, they screwed up an expensive order and would not do anything about it. So, I had to sell what they gave me for about half of what it cost to get some of my money back.

I think its great to have multiple options, because some shops carry stuff that others don't.

Also, Don't forget Summit and Jegs. They have alot of direct fit parts too.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 02-21-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:04 AM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
Also, Don't forget Summit and Jegs. They have alot of direct fit parts too.
Agreed. I've gotten almost everything I needed from Summit so far.

I guess it really just depends if you're looking for original parts or after market. If you're just trying to make the thing work..... Summit and Jegs are great and fairly cheap.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
I notice your profile says CA. I'm in Norcal and have dealt with just about every mustang shop up here. Mustang Plus has the biggest inventory and very knowledgable, but give-a-hoot factor could be higher. Sacramento Mustang is nothing but ego's shoved in a good looking business, and their prices show it. By far, the most friendly, knowledgable and best service is a little known shop in Rancho Cordova called American Mustang. Suggestion, if you plan to buy body panels, buy them in person, and inspect before you purchase. Overall, Mustang+ has the biggest inventory and quick shipping.
You hit the nail on the head! I have been working on my car for 4 years and "Just" found American Mustang, EXCELLENT prices and service. Great folks over there.
but to the OP . CJ's, MU, NPD, Virginia classics. There are several venders that I would avoid
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 AM
fuji66Fastback

Hi am a newbie here. My body shop that is doing all the work on my 66 Fastback has asked me to buy nothing but OEM panels. Reason he says they will line up easier and have thicker material then the newer repops. But the difference in price is like nite and day. Just bought a OEM tail panel on line for 250.00 holly cows..

Quick Reply: Best place to buy parts from