Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Performance mods on a 66 w/ 302

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:27 PM
302blue66

Default Performance mods on a 66 w/ 302

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I was wanting to see what kind of advice I could get for building up my 1966 coupe with a 302. It's got headers, exhaust, 4 barrel carb, billet pullies, a very mild cam, aluminum heads, and a couple other little things. I'm wanting to make it higher performance and I was thinkin about putting some lower gears in the rear end with posi, a more aggressive cam, and a stall/converter. From there I have no idea.. Help?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

personally, quick and cheap performance, I'd start by recurving the dizzy, adj'd the timing, and re-jet the carb. As for the trans (C4?) , if it's still streetable, change to a C-servo and adjustable vacuum modulator, and shift kit. the rear trac-loc third member and gears can be had for about $700. Don't forget your brakes! Good brakes are worth the money; SSBC, etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Gun Jam

You could check to see which heads you have and then buy a cam, carb and intake to match them perfectly for performance.

-Gun
Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
302blue66

I have drum brakes with a brake booster. Is that decent enough? and also I wanted some advice on wheels and tries to go with
Old 03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

No! Disks!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
64.5stanger
2nd Gear Member

Front disc conversion 4 sure. Check discbrakeswap.com, opentracker, or chockostang.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Discs aren't an absolute requirement. If you're only driving the car occasionally, and then usually in straight lines, discs may not really be necessary. But if you're driving often and/or on windy roads, definitely consider a front disc upgrade. Discs will offer more control during braking and less fade during repeated braking, but don't confuse this with stopping power. The factory drum brakes will stop the car just fine...just not always in the direction you expect

Regardless, a dual master cylinder upgrade should be considered mandatory. Single masters just aren't safe in the event of a leak.

As far as other upgrades go, the best bang for the buck will be rear gears. Of course, nothing will matter if you haven't already followed the advice in groho's first sentence.

Last edited by Starfury; 03-09-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

have you converted from points yet? BIG improvement in reliablity and some performance as you can open the gap some and run a stronger coil... Pertronix is easy and CHEAP!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:54 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I also recommend Pertronix Ignitor and front disc brakes. Its not necessary, but its a great upgrade.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 PM
302blue66

Originally Posted by groho
personally, quick and cheap performance, I'd start by recurving the dizzy, adj'd the timing, and re-jet the carb. As for the trans (C4?) , if it's still streetable, change to a C-servo and adjustable vacuum modulator, and shift kit. the rear trac-loc third member and gears can be had for about $700. Don't forget your brakes! Good brakes are worth the money; SSBC, etc.
Already done the first 3 things. What gears would you recommend?

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
You could check to see which heads you have and then buy a cam, carb and intake to match them perfectly for performance.

-Gun
That's my main plan. I've already got an edelbrock 4 barrel and an aluminum intake but I need a more aggressive cam and converter

Originally Posted by Starfury
Discs aren't an absolute requirement. If you're only driving the car occasionally, and then usually in straight lines, discs may not really be necessary. But if you're driving often and/or on windy roads, definitely consider a front disc upgrade. Discs will offer more control during braking and less fade during repeated braking, but don't confuse this with stopping power. The factory drum brakes will stop the car just fine...just not always in the direction you expect

Regardless, a dual master cylinder upgrade should be considered mandatory. Single masters just aren't safe in the event of a leak.

As far as other upgrades go, the best bang for the buck will be rear gears. Of course, nothing will matter if you haven't already followed the advice in groho's first sentence.
What gears would you recommend? I'm about to put a positrac unit in it and I guess i could just do that while I'm at it. And how could I fix the speedometer afterwards?

Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
have you converted from points yet? BIG improvement in reliablity and some performance as you can open the gap some and run a stronger coil... Pertronix is easy and CHEAP!
I'll look into that

Quick Reply: Performance mods on a 66 w/ 302