Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Trouble starting up when car is warm n driven

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

Default Trouble starting up when car is warm n driven

Hey guys my 65 v8 starts right up when the car is cold n been parked for a while, but whenive been driving it n park it n try to start it up again it lags to Start. It starts to turn n turn such like if the battery is lagging n it finally kicks in after a few cranks... I have a brand new battery new alternator n starter. I've read maybe the headers heat affects the starter? Is that so? Someone told me it possible could be the low gauge wire from the starter. I saw the wire it says 4g I'm assuming that's 4 gauge. Please help guys.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Do you have headers? What starter, stock type or mini? I bet its heat soak on the starter.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

+1 Heat soak on starter. Will get heat soak if you timing is too far advanced.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:02 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

55 dollar mini starter from dbelectrical should do the trick. comes with a 1 year warranty too. as long as your sure its not your carb boiling over thats the cause.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

If the starter is slow to turn over at first it almost has to be heat soak. Now if it was slow to fire up and the starter was turning over normally then I might think carb flooding or vapor lock.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 03-18-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

I have headers n stock starter... I'll check the timing. ...I have a 347 will that mini starter be sufficient?... When I try to start it it's like wahhhh...(half a secong pause)..wahhh....(half second pause)....wahh.... Then itsturns on.... How can check the carb n check for vapor lock?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Hi Torque mini starter would be a the way to go. I just bought a summit brand for my 347 - not a bad price.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
Hi Torque mini starter would be a the way to go. I just bought a summit brand for my 347 - not a bad price.
did u have to put any shields also around it?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Gun Jam

When did this start happening? was it fine until you replaced the starter n then noticed the problem occurring n have you ever replaced the stater? Have you always had this problem n if so is it worse during summer?

They do make heat shields used to reflect exhaust heat away from the starter motor n they are easy to install n for what its worth I run headers n with my stock starter on my c4 i never had any issues...after switching to t5 n mini starter sometimes it acts like it doesn't have enough torque to crank over the engine...or its not getting power or poor ground... I am running a heat shield as well seems to act up worse when hot sometimes i miss my old starter.

....n

-Gun
Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
When did this start happening? was it fine until you replaced the starter n then noticed the problem occurring n have you ever replaced the stater? Have you always had this problem n if so is it worse during summer?

They do make heat shields used to reflect exhaust heat away from the starter motor n they are easy to install n for what its worth I run headers n with my stock starter on my c4 i never had any issues...after switching to t5 n mini starter sometimes it acts like it doesn't have enough torque to crank over the engine...or its not getting power or poor ground... I am running a heat shield as well seems to act up worse when hot sometimes i miss my old starter.

....n

-Gun
yea just about when i put in a new stock starter it started happening... not right away but soon there after.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting up when car is warm n driven